[JPL] R.I.P.: Jazz drummer Steve Reid dies at 66

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue Apr 13 22:18:58 EDT 2010

R.I.P.: Jazz drummer Steve Reid dies at 66
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/04/rip-jazz-drummer-steve-reid-dies-at-66.html

Domino Records announced today
<http://www.dominorecordco.us/usa/news/13-04-10/steve-reid/> that
percussionist Steve Reid, who performed with artists as varied as Martha
Reeves, Miles Davis and Four Tet's Kieran Hebden, died in his sleep
Monday after a fight with cancer.

Perhaps most heard on Martha & the Vandellas' "Dancing in the Street,"
he also had a brief stint backing James Brown (that's him on the funk
standard "Popcorn"). Reid also performed with Fela Kuti in Africa before
his career was briefly derailed by serving time for ducking the draft as
a conscientious objector. After his release, Reid backed a who's who of
the '70s avant-garde, including Horace Tapscott, Sam Rivers, Lester
Bowie and Mal Waldron, along with more mainstream acts such as Freddie
Hubbard, Horace Silver and Dionne Warwick.

Reid's 1970s albums as a bandleader are a favorite among crate-diggers,
but his collaborations with electronic artist Hebden introduced him to a
whole new audience. Mixing live percussion with electronic textures, the
pair first came together on the 2005 album "Spirit Walk" and also
released two volumes of "The Exchange Session," as well as "Tongues" in
2007 (which features the song "Brain," above) and "NYC" in 2008.
Needless to say, there's plenty for the curious to explore by Reid, but
one of our favorites is the hypnotic Afrobeat groove in the title track
from his 2008 album "Daxaar."

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood