[JPL] Jazz trumpeter mourns death of Polish president

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Sun Apr 18 22:55:50 EDT 2010

Jazz trumpeter mourns death of Polish president
By Patrick Cole
BLOOMBERG NEWS
Sunday, Apr. 18 2010
When jazz trumpeter Tomasz Stanko heard about the death of Polish President
Lech Kaczynski, he was preparing for a five-night run at Manhattan's
Birdland
Jazz Club.

Stanko, the elder statesman of jazz in Poland, will dedicate his
concerts to
the 96 people who died April 10 when a plane carrying Kaczynski to a
memorial
for a World War II massacre crashed near Smolensk, Russia.

"I am a musician, and my way of mourning is to play music," said Stanko,
67,
who was acquainted with the Polish president.

Sitting at Birdland's bar before a sound check, Stanko recalled seeing
saxophonist Wayne Shorter playing a concert after his daughter had just
died.

"He had to still play," Stanko said. "Music is our language, and this is
our
way of communicating."

The group Friday was to play some songs from its most recent recording,
"Dark
Eyes" (ECM 2009), a collection of somber and mysterious songs with a strong
rhythmic foundation. The players, mostly young Scandinavians, include
pianist
Alexi Tuomarila and drummer Olavi Louhivuori of Finland, and guitarists
Jakob
Bro and Anders Christensen of Denmark.

A recording of the performance may be released on CD by Stanko's record
label,
ECM.

"My music is influenced by our climate in Poland," said Stanko, wearing
a black
fedora and sport coat. "We don't have a lot of light in Poland. The sun
and the
light dictate the kind of music you make."

A student of saxophonist Ornette Coleman and trumpeter Miles Davis, Stanko
explored different approaches to improvisation, traveling in India and
working
with innovators such as guitarist Taj Mahal and saxophonist Chico Freeman.

Kaczynski will leave a strong legacy, Stanko said.

"Kaczynski was a very noble person," he said. "He respected art and
artists."

Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations
24270 Eastwood