[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Samuel Blaser & Charles Evans!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 19 06:54:25 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100419_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(APRIL 19, 2010) -- It's here! My new book, Unexpected Sunlight, is now
available. It was published by FootHills Publishing, a 25-year-old
independent poetry press in upstate New York. I picked up the first
copies this weekend at FootHills' 25th anniversary celebration. If
you're in the Albany area, you can hear me read from the book on Monday,
April 26 at 8 p.m. at the Lark Tavern, 453 Madison Ave. in Albany. In
the meantime, get your copy of Unexpected Sunlight here:

http://jasoncrane.org/store/

Next week is a big one on The Jazz Session. On Monday, Sonny Rollins
returns. On Thursday, an interview with Henry Threadgill.

My thanks to the folks who have donated to The Jazz Session via the
secure PayPal link at http://thejazzsession.com. If you feel like the
show has added something to your life, please give a little back. Thank
you very much.

This week on the show: Samuel Blaser (TJS #161, Monday) and Charles
Evans (TJS #162, Thursday).

Next week: Sonny Rollins (TJS #163, Monday) and Henry Threadgill (TJS
#164, Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #161: Samuel Blaser. On Pieces Of Old Sky (Clean Feed, 2009), Swiss
trombonist Samuel Blaser explores space and spectral harmony to great
effect. In this interview, Blaser discusses the challenges of leaving
space in music; his Swiss roots and how moving to New York changed his
life; and several upcoming projects, including his jazz take on the
music of Monteverdi. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #162: Charles Evans. Baritone saxophonist Charles Evans and his
longtime friend, pianist Neil Shah, recently released Live At Saint
Stephens (Hotcup, 2009), a duet recording that showcases Evans' amazing
tone and inventive compositions. In this interview, Evans discusses his
focus on the bari sax; his relationship with Neil Shah and how it
impacts their music; and his plans for … bass fishing. SHOW AVAILABLE
STARTING 4/22/10.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--