[JPL] Re: Aloha! Hawaii Public Radio's Pledge Drive Reaches Record

rcruz at hawaiipublicradio.org rcruz at hawaiipublicradio.org
Fri Apr 23 16:11:57 EDT 2010

Aloha! Ray Cruz here from Hawaii Public Radio's "Sabor Tropical" program
with this update on our semiannual pledge/fundrive drive

HPR'S “CHALLENGE 2010” WRAPS UP ON EARLY EVENING OF DAY 9;
Down-to-the-Wire Finale Hits $786,610 at 5:50 p.m.

        Hawaii Public Radio brought its spring fundraiser “Challenge 2010”
to a triumphant conclusion at 5:50 p.m. on Thursday, April 22, 2010, in the
early evening of the ninth day of a drive originally scheduled for ten days.

The goal of $785,000 was exceeded by $1,610, for a record-breaking total of
$786,610. There were 2,669 calls from supporters during the drive. KIPO
89.3 FM earned a record pledge total of $205,839, the first time the news
and information stream, whose reach across the state has been strengthened
through the new transmitter on Tantalus that went on line in September
2008,earned more than $200,000.

Advance donations before the on-air portion of the drive totaled
1,162, for a sum of $127,613.

Last fall’s fundraiser ended late the afternoon of the tenth day, as
scheduled.

        “We are thoroughly delighted at this amazing outpouring of support
for our public radio service,” said HPR President and General Manager
Michael Titterton. “We have always described our service as
community-building, and this is enthusiastic proof that our listeners want
to keep this service on track and on the air. We could not be more
grateful."

        More than 200 volunteers joined the station staff and on-air guests
to ask for funding for programming costs for the next six months.

Thank you to all who provided any type of promotional material or
inspiration for us to bring this drive to a succesfull conclusion.

Aloha!

Ray Cruz
Asst. Director of Operations
Hawaii Public Radio