[JPL] PLAYLIST; Vinyl SIde of Midnight / Hip Hop Jazz (89.7fm WLNZ)

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 21:44:29 EDT 2010

HIP HOP JAZZ

Rap and jazz have been making eyes at each other since hip hop became a
term. DJs used samples, jazz used rappers. Remix producers married old
artists to new beats. Tonight's show looks at as many angles of this criss
cross of influences allows in three short hours. Miles checks out the new
thing, years later his music is deconstructed by DJs; rap artists invite Ron
Carter to play bass against their beats; Robert Glasper invites the hip hop
aesthetic to come to jazz. You should check this out, espescially all of you
who claim not to like rap. Tune in and enjoy.

Miles Davis - High Speed Chase; DOO BOP (Warner Brothers)
J Dilla/Brother Jack McDuff - Oblighetto; BLUE NOTE REVISITED (Blue Note)

(the origins of rap and the flow to jazz…)
snippets:
Bob Dylan - Subterranean Homesick Blues
Temptations - Ball of Confusion
Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight
Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five - The Message
Herbie Hancock - Rockit
Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Gil Scott Heron - Me and the Devil
Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock
Jason Moran - Planet Rock

Digable Planets w/Lester Bowie & Wah Wah Watson - Flyin' High In The
Brooklyn Sky; STOLEN MOMENTS (Impulse)
Liquid Sky - Sure Fire One; HERE'S THE DEAL (Shanachie)
Brooklyn Funk Essentials - The Creator Has A Master Plan; COOL & STEADY &
EASY (RCA)

Astrud Gilberto (RJD2 Remix) - The Gentle Rain; VERVE REMIXED
Buckshot LeFonque - Here We Go Again: MUSIC EVOLUTION (Columbia)
Buckshot LeFonque - Try These On; MUSIC EVOLUTION (Columbia)
The Roots (W/Steve Coleman & Joshua Roseman)- Dat Skat; DO YOU WANT MORE?
(Geffen Records)

Sarah Vaughan (Chris Shaw remix) - Tea For Two; VERVE REMIXED
US 3 - Different Rhythms Different People; HAND ON THE TORCH (Blue Note)
Digable Planets - Rebirth of the Slick (Cool Like Dat) REACHIN' (Pendulum)

Bennie Maupin/Marcus Belgrave/Carl Craig - Vernors; THE DETROIT EXPERIMENT
(Rope A Dope Records)
Jungle Brothers - Beyond This World; DONE BY THE FORCES OF NATURE (Warner
Brothers)
Billie Holiday (Madison Park remix) - I'm Gonna Lock My Heart; REMIXED &
REIMAGINED (Columbia/Legacy)

A Tribe Called Quest - Verses From The Abstract; THE LOW END THEORY (Jive)
A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz (We've Got); THE LOW END THEORY (Jive)
Miles Davis (Nas Remix) - Freedom Jazz Dance; EVOLUTION OF THE GROOVE
(Columbia)
Sergio Mendes (w/Q-Tip & Will I.AM) - The Frog; TIMELESS (Concord)

Robert Glasper - Butterfly; DOUBLE BOOKED (Blue Note)
Charlie Parker (w/Hal Wilner remix) - All The Shadows of Nuff; BIRD UP
(Savoy)
Jason Miles & DJ Logic - The Souk; GLOBAL NOIZE (Shanacie)

Pharoah Sanders (Boozoo Bajou Remix) - Astral Traveling; IMPULISVE (Impulse)
Vijay Iyer & Mike Ladd - The Density of the 19th Century; IN WHAT LANGUAGE
(PI)
Roy Hargrove / RH Factor - Poetry; HARD GROOVE (Verve)

Miles Davis (DJ Cam remix) - In A Silent Way; PANTHALASSA: THE REMIXES
(Columbia)
Karl Denson - Who Are You?; DANCE LESSON #2 (Blue Note)