[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Sonny Rollins & Henry Threadgill!

Jason Crane|The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 26 06:47:05 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100426_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(APRIL 26, 2010) -- "Jazz is as relevant as the yearning of people to be
free." That's how Sonny Rollins characterizes the music's place in
modern society. And there's a lot more where that came from in this
week's interview. As if that's not enough, be sure to check out Henry
Threadgill on Thursday for more profound insights into the music and the
life that accompanies it.

It's here! My new book, Unexpected Sunlight, is now available. It was
published by FootHills Publishing, a 25-year-old independent poetry
press in upstate New York. For all you jazzheads out there, the book
does include several jazz poems, including pieces about Henry Grimes,
Gene Ludwig, Miles Davis and others. It's available right now at
http://jasoncrane.org/store. Thanks to everyone who has already ordered
a copy! Speaking of poetry, I'm giving readings from the book in Albany
tonight (April 26) and in Rochester on May 5. For details about those
and other events, please visit http://jasoncrane.org/events.

My thanks to the folks who have donated to The Jazz Session via the
secure PayPal link at http://thejazzsession.com. If you feel like the
show has added something to your life, please give a little back. Thank
you very much.

This week on the show: Sonny Rollins (TJS #163, Monday) and Henry
Threadgill (TJS #164, Thursday)

Next week: Torben Waldorf (TJS #165, Monday) and Nels Cline (TJS #166,
Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #163: Sonny Rollins. "Jazz is as relevant today as the yearning of
people to be free." That’s how Sonny Rollins describes the state of the
music in this interview, recorded in late 2009 during his European tour.
He also talks about his early decision to choose music over painting;
his choice from his earliest days to record controversial songs such as
"The House I Live In;" and his theory about why the world is full of
strife. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #164: Henry Threadgill. Multi-instrumentalist and composer Henry
Threadgill has always followed his own particular muse, and his new
album, And This Brings Us To, Vol. 1 (Pi Recordings, 2009), is no
different. In this interview, Threadgill discusses the musical language
he's developed, and the demands it places on the musicians who play with
him; why he constantly searches for new ways of writing and playing; and
the changes in the New York scene since the days when he arrived in the
city.. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 4/29/10.

*********************************

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane
Host/Producer

Unexpected Sunlight (FootHills Publishing, 2010),
my first collection of poetry, is now available:
http://jasoncrane.org/store

(Sent via carrier pigeon from
my secret mountain hideout)