[JPL] Top Jazz CD's of the first decade of the 21st Century

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 22:36:55 EDT 2010

Juan,

Here's my set list for 'best of 2000's'; of course, entirely subjective:

DECADES: 2000s

What a long, strange trip it’s been. The Vinyl Side of Midnight wraps up the
series of DECADES shows with a review of the past ten years. The line up is
strong and some tough choices made. What, no Keith Jarrett? New influences
are felt from world to hip hop to classical spheres. The Lansing area
experiences a renaissance of jazz with the twin influences of a top notch
jazz department at MSU (under the guidance of Rodney Whitaker) and the jewel
of Old Town, the Creole Gallery, through the efforts of Robert Busby and
Meegan Holland. An amazing decade indeed. Musical ‘beds’ are made up from
popular and significant records of the last few years. Check it all out on
Sunday night.

Dave Douglas - Blue Heaven; SOUL ON SOUL (RCA Victor)
Joe Lovano - Don’t Ever Leave Me; JOYOUS ENCOUNTERS (Blue Note)
Jason Moran - Planet Rock; MODERNISTIC (Blue Note)
Justin Timberlake - Sexyback; FUTURE/SEX/LOVESOUNDS (Jive)

Dianna Krall - The Look of Love (title track); (Verve)
Maria Schneider Orchestra - Sky Blue (title track); (artist share)
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (title track); (Universal Republic)

Herbie Hancock w/Tina Turner - Edith and the Kingpin; RIVER (Verve)
Wayne Shorter Quartet - Masquelero; FOOTPRINTS LIVE! (Verve)
No Doubt - Hella Good; ROCK STEADY (Interscope Records)

Kenny Garrett - Realization; BEYOND THE WALL (Nonesuch)
Dave Holland Big Band - Blues For C.M.; WHAT GOES AROUND (ECM)
Snoop Dogg - It Blows My Mind; THE NEPTUNES PRESENT...CLONES (Arista
Records)

Greg Osby - Ashes; THE INVISIBLE HAND (Blue Note)
Andrew Hill - Tough Love; DUSK (Palmetto Records)
LCD Soundsystem - North American; SOUND OF SILVER (Capitol)

John Hollenbeck Large Ensemble - Folkmoot; A BLESSING (Omnitone)
Chris Potter 10 - Closer to the Sun; SONG FOR ANYONE (Sunnyside)
Bjork - The Pleasure is All Mine; MEDULLA (Elektra)

David Murray Octet - Giant Steps; OCTET PLAYS TRANE (Justin Time Records)
Ornette Coleman - Turnaround; SOUND GRAMMAR (Phrase Text)
William Parker Quartet - Wood Flute Song; SOUND UNITY (AUM Fidelity)
Toumani Diabate - Mali Sadio; BOULEVARD DE L’INDEPENDANCE (Nonesuch)

Vijay Iyer - Infogee’s Cakewalk; REIMAGINING (Savoy Jazz)
Rudresh Mahanthappa - Ganesha; KINSMEN (Pi Recordings)
M.I.A. - Pull Up The People; ARULAR (Interscope Records)

Tomasz Stanko Quartet - I; SOUL OF THINGS (ECM)
Charles Lloyd - Tales of Rumi; SANGAM (ECM)
Hamsa Lila - Eh Mustapha; GATHERING ONE (BRG)

Karrin Allyson - Never Say Yes; FOOTPRINTS (Concord)
Kurt Elling - I Like The Sunrise; NIGHTMOVES (Concord)