[JPL] Playlist for "Continuum: A Journey Through Jazz" on Soulandjazz.com

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue Apr 27 12:42:23 EDT 2010

Continuum - A Journey Through Jazz - April 27, 2010
Episode 2: "Kinds of Blue Too"

http://www.soulandjazz.com/category/continuum-–-a-journey-through-jazz/episode-2-kinds-of-blue-too/

The first Episode received such great response that I thought I should continue in the same vein – exploring the influence of the artists that recorded
the iconic "Kind of Blue" on March 2 and April 22, 1959. These sessions featured Miles Davis's ensemble sextet, which consisted of pianists Bill Evans and Wynton
Kelly, drummer Jimmy Cobb, bassist Paul Chambers, and saxophonists John Coltrane and Julian "Cannonball" Adderley.

These artists collectively had a huge impact of various styles of jazz over the past 50 years – and this edition of "Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz" – "Kinds
of Blue Too" explores their styles, influence and controversial forays into unique expressions which led to new schools of jazz. I find that everyone has
their favorite style of music – and they don't want anyone messing with it . . . but jazz is all about messing with styles, keeping what's good, discarding
what's bad, listening to the past, and keeping an ear open to all the sounds that surround us in the present to continually creating something fresh and
vibrant for the future. That's how I define the jazz continuum – and that's the journey this show proposes to travel and explore . . . so, enjoy the ride!

If you have any comments, questions, requests or suggestions for future shows, I would love to hear from you – just drop me a line at Scott at SoulandJazz.com

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Miles Davis - All Blues - Kind of Blue - 1959
Miles Davis - Tutu - Tutu - 1986
John Coltrane - Cousin Mary - Giant Steps - 1960
John Coltrane - Giant Steps (excerpt) - Giant Steps - 1960
Cadillac Jones - Giant Steps - Junk In The Trunk - 2003
The Cannonball Adderley Quintet - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Mercy, Mercy, Mercy Live at "The Club" - 1966
Urbanator - Sack O' Woe - Urbanator - 1994
Bill Evans & Tony Bennett - Waltz For Debbie - The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album - 1975
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Waltz For Debbie - The New Crystal Silence - 2008