[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: David Weiss & Pharez Whitted

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Aug 2 07:17:07 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100802_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(AUGUST 2, 2010) -- You may remember that several months back, Nathaniel
Friedman was on The Jazz Session talking about the "jazz=basketball"
meme. By my count, this week's interview with trumpeter David Weiss
makes three shows in a row in which my guest has made one of those
analogies (as happened in last week's shows with Marc Copland and Steve
Coleman). I think Charnett Moffett may have made a similar analogy, so
that would be four out of the last five shows. I find the whole idea
fascinating. Here's the link to the Friedman interview, in case you
missed it:
http://thejazzsession.com/2010/01/01/the-jazz-session-130-nathaniel-friedman/

My friend and fellow poet Bob Sharkey here in Albany recently created an
erasure poem based on Michael Ondaatje's 1974 biography of Buddy Bolden
Coming Through Slaughter. I had never heard of the book until hearing
Bob's poem, but I got a copy from the library and I'm going to dig in
starting tonight. Want to read it with me? Grab a copy and let me know
via email at jason at thejazzsession.com. Maybe we can talk about it in a
future newsletter or on a future show.

I've been contributing more frequently to RocBike.com these days, a
collaborative site about everyday bicycling. I recently wrote a post
about discovering a waiter at a restaurant going through the bag on my
bike. You'll find the full story at my site.

This week on the show: David Weiss (TJS #187, Monday) and Pharez Whitted
(TJS #188, Thursday).

Next week: Eric Hofbauer (TJS #189, Monday) and Roland Vazquez (TJS
#190, Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #187: David Weiss. Trumpeter David Weiss and his band Point Of
Departure explore music from the late 1960s on their new record, Snuck
In (Sunnyside, 2010), recorded live at Jazz Standard in New York. In
this interview, Weiss talks about the little-known Detroit composers who
wrote some of the songs on the new record; why he chose to cover other
people’s music on this recording; and how he found the impressive roster
of talent in Point Of Departure.  SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #188: Pharez Whitted. It’s been 14 years since trumpeter Pharez
Whitted last released an album, a drought he’s now ended with Transient
Journey (Owl Studios, 2010). In this interview, Whitted talks about the
changes in his life that led to the new recording; what it meant to grow
up in a family where everyone played an instrument or sang; and why he
decided early on to teach as well as play. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 8/5/10.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane