[JPL] John Medeski & focus on EUR)-JAZZ this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 2 09:20:34 EDT 2010

Check out what's up this week on The World's Modern Jazz Radio
Channel...MOJA Radio @ www.mojaradio.com.

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (2-8 August 2010)

This Monday, August 2nd, we’ll present another edition of our special
feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This time the focus
is on the great keyboardist, composer, and member of one of the super-
groups of MOJA, JOHN MEDESKI. You’ll hear of his career beginnings
including his classical training, his move to the New York area and
emergence in the downtown scene, his collaboration with the likes of
David Fiuczynski and Matthew Ship and of course there’s plenty to
cover with the incredible trio Medeski, Martin & Wood. Plus you’ll
hear all of that fantastic music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS
twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay
Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week the spotlight
is on the great JOHN MEDESKI!

  Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO four times each week, Tuesdays at 9 AM and again at 9 PM
EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST for an hour of up, fun,
funky, booty-moving stuff as only Michelle can serve up.  On Jammin’
Jazz Michelle plays jamband jazz, acid jazz, rock-influenced jazz,
funk, fusion and a little sound of New Orleans too as well as her own
insights that bring this great music to life! So if you can’t get
enough of the funky stuff come and get it on JAMMIN’ JAZZ WITH
MICHELLE four times each week on MOJA Radio! Here’s what you’ll hear
on this week’s show…ARTIST…SONG (CD)

·        Greenlight – My Experiments With Groove

·        Sound Tribe Sector 9 – Glogli

·        Modern Groove Syndicate  - Code Brown

·        Oteil & The Peacemakers  - Check Yourself

·        Javon Jackson – Quik

·        Cubik & Origami – Vertical Clearance (Remix)

·        Terence Higgins –In The Bywater

·        Galactic – Blue Pepper (Live)

·        DJ Williams Projekt– Soul Sold Separately

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we
invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for
rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6
PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of
the Sunday Specials. This week we’ll take you to Norway as hometown
heroes make good with JAGA JAZZIST: LIVE @ COMOPOLITE, OSLO 2005.
The incredibly creative 10-man band from Norway that call themselves
Jaga Jazzist have carved out a place in MOJA unlike any other group
around.  Their blend of jazz, rock, techno, classical and Norwegian
folk is truly their own.  They began their journey in the mid-90’s as
teenagers and by the time this live performance of some of their most
famous and popular songs occurred they were truly a Norwegian
National treasure. After the show they took 5 years off and we’re
glad they’re back with their new release “One Armed Bandit,” but as
we celebrate EURO-MOJA this week this give us a great chance to
celebrate one of MOJA’s greatest bands at a triumphant peak in their
career.  So join us for the celebration.  It’s JAGA JAZZIST: LIVE @
COMOPOLITE, OSLO 2005on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

  Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest
MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West
with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at
10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’re all about EURO-MOJA so you’ll hear
a full hour of the new sounds from Europe including English saxman
John Surman with help from John Abercrombie, Drew Gress & Jack
DeJohnette on his latest titled “Brewster’s Rooster.” We’ll kick
things off with Norway’s Jaga Jazzist and a new piece that appears on
the DVD Live @ Cosmopolite 2005 recorded live in their hometown of
Oslo. Then get ready for a ton of new MOJA from Sweden with “Samuel
Hallkvist Center” one of the most versatile quartets you’re ever
bound to hear, a very electric sextet called Klabbes Bank with thier
new one “Je Suis La Mer,” followed by a piano trio that may be coming
to take the place of EST, The Mat Oberg Trio, with a great new work
titled “So Very Mats.” Then we’ll top it off with more of that unique
and futuristic MOJA from the Polish duo that call themselves
Mikrokolektyw and the CD “Revisit.” So, if you want to keep up with
all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four
times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        JAGA JAZZIST....Synchronize Yr Watches…DVD: Live @
Cosmopolite 2005  (Small Town Supersound)
·        JOHN SURMAN....Brewster’s Rooster…Brewster’s Rooster (ECM)
·        JOHN SURMAN....Going For A Burton…Brewster’s Rooster (ECM)
·        KLABBES BANK....Elg…Je Suis La Mer (Hoob Jazz)
·        KLABBES BANK....Cowboyhast…Je Suis La Mer (Hoob Jazz)
·        SAMUEL HALLKVIST CENTER....Dansganget Family…Samuel
Hallkvist Center (Caprice)
·        SAMUEL HALLKVIST CENTER....Why This Sudden Blues…Samuel
Hallkvist Center (Caprice)
·        MATS OBERG TRIO....Hermeto’s Cheese…So Very Mats (Moserobie
Music Production)
·        MATS OBERG TRIO....Tandem Days…So Very Mats (Moserobie Music
Production)
·        MIKROKOLEKTYW....Tar Man…Revisit (Delmark)
·        MIKROKOLEKTYW....Lipuko…Revisit (Delmark)
  Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This
week we’ll continue a week of focus on activities across the pond
with a special feature we call “THE GREATS OF EURO-FUSION.” While
Chick, Herbie, Miles and others were helping to define fusion in
their homeland…the good ol’ USA…who was making fusion history over
there…in the Old Country? You’ll hear Poland’s Michal Urbaniak,
Englishmen Allan Holdsworth, Bill Bruford and John McLaughlin,
Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo, Czechoslovakian keyboardist Jan
Hammer, Frenchman Jean-Luc Ponty and Germany’s Joachim Kuhn and Klaus
Doldinger & Passport.  It’s “THE GREATS OF EURO-FUSION,” on this
week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

  This Saturday, August 7th, we’ll focus on one of the major trends
in MOJA as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio
this one titled “EUROPEAN INVASION: 3 GREAT KEYBOARDISTS OF
EUROJAZZ!” Join Russ Davis in New York City and meet three of the
reigning stars of modern jazz piano who hail from Europe and hear
their latest releases that help define what MOJA is all about in
2010. You’ll hear about Amina Figarova growing up behind the iron
curtain in Azerbaijan, before moving to Holland to continue her
musical studies before coming to Boston to the Berklee College of
Music. Plus we’ll debut cuts from her brilliant, new release
“Sketches.” Then we’ll talk to Turkish-born pianist and composer
Fahir Atakoglu, who now makes his home in Maryland, and enjoy cuts
from his 2010 release “Faces & Places.” Then it’s French-born
keyboardist Jacky Terrason in the spotlight as we talk about his
journey from Paris to Berklee in Boston, to his current home in New
York and follow that with cuts from his new on “Push.” Interview
segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through
Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “EUROPEAN
INVASION: 3 GREAT KEYBOARDISTS OF EUROJAZZ,” on this week’s WORDS &
MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9
AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on
JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE SAMMARTINO
followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the
hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll
wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside
the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on
LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday
from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight
Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

  MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (9-15 August 2010)

This Monday, August 9th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday”
edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA
Radio. This time the focus is on the great guitarist, composer, 17-
time Grammy-winner and MOJA Master, PAT METHENY just 4 days before
his 56th birthday on Thursday the 12th of August. You’ll hear of his
career beginnings growing up in Missouri, his work with greats like
Gary Burton and Jaco Pastorius, the formation of one of the greatest
bands in jazz history, The Pat Metheny Group, his many collaborations
with everyone from Ornette Coleman to John Scofield and of course
you’ll hear lots of that fantastic music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE
MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a
replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and since Thursday,
August 12th marks his 56th birthday, it’s a good time to say happy
birthday to the great PAT METHENY!