[JPL] Mitch Miller, Influential Record Industry Executive & MaestroOf The Singalong, Dies at 99

John Simna jsimna at wclv.com
Tue Aug 3 09:30:10 EDT 2010

...he played on Bird with Strings...

As far as I can tell, the obituary didn't mention a wonderful series of
recordings Mitch Miller did of music of Alec Wilder, alleged to have been
conducted by Frank Sinatra (Mitch Miller said in an interview that he
himself actually conducted).  Mitch Miller was featured on two pieces, Air
for Oboe and Air for Bassoon.  He also played on a series of recordings
billed as the Alec Wilder Octet in the late 1930s and early 40s.  Not
exactly jazz, but certainly influenced by the jazz of the time.

All of those recordings were collected in the 60s on LP and then eventually
on a CD called "Frank Sinatra Conducts the Music of Alec Wilder" on Sony
Special Products Colectors Series - out of print, as far as I can tell, but
I bought a used copy last year.

John Simna
jsimna at wclv.com