[JPL] RIP: Bill Fitch, Guaraldi & Tjader percussionist/drummer

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Aug 4 12:20:48 EDT 2010

Last night I learned that on July 28th at his home in West Hartford, CT,   drummer/percussionist Bill Fitch passed away. I cannot find any bio info on this prominent S F Bay musician who played with Cal Tjader, Vince Guaraldi, Hubert Laws, Chick Corea and others. He was considered to be an innovator and many NYC Latin percussionists had high esteem for his playing, Bill wrote a track titled Insight for Cal Tjader on the 1963  Verve album Sona Libre where he takes a conga solo that is still being used in many clinics as an exemplary solo. Bill was one of the first hand percussionists to read and write music and he inspired others to follow his lead including Don Alias-his former roommate.

I hope to locate an obit and or a bio to share with this forum soon.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director
It's our 25th Silver Anniversary!
The Oasis In The City, along The Front Range and the High Country!
jazz89KUVO 89.3FM DENVER, 89.7FM BRECKENRIDGE, KVJZ 88.5FM VAIL
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station