[JPL] Playlist-Face The Music for Monday, 08/09/10 On VPR By George Thomas

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Mon Aug 9 23:16:08 EDT 2010

Face The Music for Monday, 08/09/10 On VPR By George Thomas

Tonight we Face The Music as Champian Fulton sings & plays the tune on
piano and we close with two different alto saxophones featuring the sound
of Steve Wilson and Sharel Cassity. We also hear from 12yr old violinist
Jonathan Russell and vocalist and drummer Patricia Dean, both part of a
concert this Friday August 13th in Middlebury at the Town Hall Theater.

Playlist

9:00pm
I Can't Face The Music
Artist Name 	Champian Fulton
Composer 	Rube Bloom-Ted Koehler
Soloists 	Champian Fulton-Piano, Vocals
CD/Album 	The Breeze And I
Record co./Cat # 	Gut String Records 002
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:05pm
Just A Riff
Artist Name 	Ben Webster with the Big Sid Catlett Quartet
Composer 	Big Sid Catlett
Soloists 	Ben Webster-Tenor Sax ; Big Sid Catlett-Drums
CD/Album 	Giants Of The Tenor Sax
Record co./Cat # 	Commodore Records 7005
Release Year 	1944

9:09pm
Blue Skies
Artist Name 	The John Hardee Swingtet
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	John Hardee-Tenor Sax ; Tiny Grimes-Guitar
CD/Album 	The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings Of Ike Quebec And John
Hardee
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 3-107
Release Year 	1946

9:12pm
Just One Of Those Things
Artist Name 	Charles Mingus
Soloists 	Teddy Charles-Vibes ; Charles Mingus-Bass
CD/Album 	Pithecanthropus Erectus
Record co./Cat # 	Atlantic 1237
Release Year 	1956

9:18pm
Suppertime
Artist Name 	Ethel Waters
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Ethel Waters-Vocals ; Reginald Beane-Piano
CD/Album 	The Favourite Songs Of
Record co./Cat # 	Sepia Records 1079
Release Year 	1947

9:23pm
Dancing In The Dark
Artist Name 	Bill Charlap - Renee Rosnes
Composer 	Howard Deitz & Arthur Schwartz
Soloists 	Bill Charlap-Piano ; Renee Rosnes-Piano
CD/Album 	Double Portrait
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 27560 2
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:28pm
The Very Thought Of You
Artist Name 	Nnenna Freelon
Composer 	Ray Noble
Soloists 	Nnenna Freelon-Vocals ; Ira Wiggins-Tenor Sax ; Brandon
McCune-Piano
CD/Album 	Homefree
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 31316-02
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:34pm
I Didn't Know What Time It Was
Artist Name 	Dr. Lonnie Smith
Composer 	Rodgers & Hart
Soloists 	Dr. Lonnie Smith - Hammond Organ ; Jonathan Kreisberg-Guitar ;
Jamire Williams-Drums
CD/Album 	Spiral
Record co./Cat # 	Palmetto Records 2142
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:43pm
Eden Rain
Artist Name 	Rafi Malkiel
Composer 	Rafi Malkiel
Soloists 	Rafi Malkiel-Trombone, Tuba
CD/Album 	Water
Record co./Cat # 	Tzadik 8151
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:50pm
Bye Ya
Artist Name 	The Brother Thelonious Quintet
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Arranger 	Helen Sung
Soloists 	Helen Sung-Piano ; Ambrose Akinmusire-Trumpet ; Wayne
Escofffery-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Brother Thelonious
Record co./Cat # 	North Coast Brewing Co. 101
Release Year 	2009

9:54pm
Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You
Artist Name 	Jose James & Jef Neve
Composer 	Andy Razaf-Don Redman
Soloists 	Jose James-Vocals ; Jef Neve-Piano
CD/Album 	For All We Know
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! B0013977-02
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:01pm
Dame Crazy
Artist Name 	Nat King Cole
Composer 	Harold Adamson, Jimmy McHugh
Conductor 	Nelson Riddle
Soloists 	Nat King Cole-Vocals & Piano
CD/Album 	Night Lights
Record co./Cat # 	Capitol 31964-2
Release Year 	1955

10:04pm
Boss Bossa
Artist Name 	Cory Weeds
Composer 	Hank Mobley
Soloists 	Chris Davis-Trumpet ; Cory Weeds-Tenor Sax ; Joey
DeFrancesco-Hammond B3 ; Byron Landham-Drums
CD/Album 	The Many Deeds Of
Record co./Cat # 	Cellar Live 11010-2
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:12pm
Bemba'e Cuchara/Spoon Lips
Artist Name 	Israel Lopez "Cachao"
Soloists 	Israel Lopez "Cachao"-Bass
CD/Album 	Cuba - I Am Time
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Jackel 5010-2
Release Year 	1997

10:20pm
But Not For Me; Lush Life
Artist Name 	Rebecca Martin
Composer 	George & Ira Gershwin; Billy Strayhorn
Soloists 	Rebecca Martin-Vocals ; Bill McHenry-Tenor Sax ; Larry Grenadier
- Bass
CD/Album 	When I Was Long Ago
Record co./Cat # 	Sunnyside 1255
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:30pm
Nuages
Artist Name 	Jonathan Russell
Composer 	Django Reinhardt
Soloists 	Jonathan Russell-Violin ; Bucky Pizzarelli-Guitar
CD/Album 	Puttin' On The Ritz
Record co./Cat # 	www.jonathanjazz.com
Release Year 	2007

10:34pm
Take The "A" Train
Artist Name 	Patricia Dean
Composer 	Billy Strayhorn
Soloists 	Patricia Dean-Vocals, Drums
CD/Album 	You Go To My Head
Record co./Cat # 	www.patriciadeanmusic.com
Release Year 	2010

10:42pm
Sweet And Lovely
Artist Name 	Bruce Barth & Steve Wilson
Composer 	G. Arnheim, H. Tobias, J. Lemare
Soloists 	Steve Wilson-Alto Sax ; Bruce Barth-Piano
CD/Album 	Home
Record co./Cat # 	We Always Swing 1002
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:50pm
On The Nile
Artist Name 	Sharel Cassity
Composer 	Charles Tolliver
Soloists 	Sharel Cassity-Alto Sax ; Jeremy Pelt-Trumpet ; Michael
Dease-Trombonoe ; Orrin Evans-Piano
CD/Album 	Relentless
Record co./Cat # 	Jazz Legacy Productions 0901001
Release Year 	2009

--
Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio