[JPL] The Way of the Sly Man cds

John Simna jsimna at wclv.com
Tue Aug 10 13:03:28 EDT 2010

Just to second Dan's message - check out Dave Morgan at davemorgan.com

-----Original Message-----
DPolletta at aol.com
Subject: [JPL] The Way of the Sly Man cds

Fellow jazzers-

Today on WCPN's arts and culture show "Around Noon," I talked to bass
player and composer Dave Morgan and trumpeter Jack Schantz about Dave's new

recording "The Way of the Sly Man."  Dave and Jack have been kicking around

making a date inspired by the writings and life of spiritual teacher GI
Gurdjieff for a number of years.   Dave, who teaches at  Youngstown State is

really a wonderful writer. There is some real nice material  on
it...including a
very Indian sounding piece featuring Howie Smith's  soprano.  Guitarist Bob
Fraser and percussionist Jamey Haddad steal the  show on "The Law of
Three."  There's a 12 bar blues featuring  trombonist Chris Anderson...some
Brookmeyer/Maria Schneider sounding stuff...and  piece that made me think of
Frank
Zappa.  Dan Wall, who you might know from  some of John Abercrombie's ECM
session is also showcased on piano.

Anyway-here is the interview link...also available as a podcast.

_http://www.wcpn.org/WCPN/an/31566_ (http://www.wcpn.org/WCPN/an/31566)

If you want to find more, contact Dave.  I think much of the material
would fit most jazz formats.

_http://davemorgan.com/_ (http://davemorgan.com/)

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM