[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Roland Vazquez & Gene Bertoncini

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Aug 16 00:35:42 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100816_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(AUGUST 16, 2010) -- My friends in The Respect Sextet provide the theme
music for each episode of The Jazz Session. This week, the band releases
its new album, Farcical Built For Six. On Tuesday, August 17, The
Respect Sextet returns to Le Poisson Rouge in New York City for an album
release party. For more information, visit:
http://www.respectsextet.com/2010/08/08/farcical-built-for-six-nyc-album-release-show-81710/

(On a side note, my good friend Jeff Vrabel wrote the liner notes for
their new album. You'll find his humor columns and music reviews at
http://jeffvrabel.com.)

I spent the past week in New York City. On Wednesday night, I was
fortunate to see Tyshawn Sorey's new quartet at Roulette. Fantastic
music. The next day, I recorded interviews with Kneebody's Shane Endsley
and with pianist John Escreet, who was part of Sorey's band.

I know that many of you started listening to The Jazz Session after I
joined up with All About Jazz. With that in mind, I'm going to bring you
some shows from the early days. This Thursday's episode is a 2007
interview with guitarist Gene Bertoncini that originally aired as TJS #27.

This week on the show: Roland Vazquez (TJS #191, Monday) and Gene
Bertoncini (TJS #192, Thursday).

Next week: Jimmy Amadie (TJS #193, Monday) and Shane Endsley of Kneebody
(TJS #194, Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:

TJS #191: Roland Vazquez. Roland Vazquez explores a series of historical
and philosophical ideas through the medium of music on The Visitor
(RVCD, 2010). In this interview, Vazquez talks about his former and
current large ensembles; the programmatic elements underlying the
compositions; and why he decided to do something — or rather not do
something — for the first time on this album. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.
LISTEN: http://thejazzsession.com

TJS #192: Gene Bertoncini. Here’s an interview I recorded in 2007 with