[JPL] MOJA Radio This week...Martino Monday...Charlie Hunter Wedesday...Fusion Drummers...St. Louis Saturday

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 16 18:31:28 EDT 2010

Here's what's up this week on The World's Modern Jazz Radio Channel
MOJA Radio (www.mojaradio.com). COME AND GET IT!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (16-22 August 2010)

This Monday, August 16th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday”
edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA
Radio. This time the focus is on the great guitarist from
Philadelphia and MOJA Master, PAT MARTINO just days before his 66th
birthday on Wednesday the 25th of August. You’ll hear of his career
beginnings growing up in Philly, one of America’s most musical
cities, his early work as a teenage guitar wiz with organ groups led
by greats like Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff and others, how he was
leading his own bands in his early twenties and became a major force
in the fusion era and of course you’ll hear lots of his fantastic
music. Plus you’ll hear the miraculous story of how he suffered a
brain aneurysm in 1980 that caused him to lose his memory and ability
to play guitar, but made a complete comeback in 4 years. Listen for
MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM
Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and
since Wednesday, August 25th marks his 66th birthday, it’s a good
time to say happy birthday to the great PAT MARTINO!

Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO four times each week, Tuesdays at 9 AM and again at 9 PM
EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST for an hour of up, fun,
funky, booty-moving stuff as only Michelle can serve up.  On Jammin’
Jazz Michelle plays jamband jazz, acid jazz, rock-influenced jazz,
funk, fusion and a little sound of New Orleans too as well as her own
insights that bring this great music to life! So if you can’t get
enough of the funky stuff come and get it on JAMMIN’ JAZZ WITH
MICHELLE four times each week on MOJA Radio! Here’s what you’ll hear
on this week’s show…

ARTIST…SONG

·       Mike Clark…The Viper

·       FusionFor Miles…Serpents Tooth

·       Herring/Lavitz …Camel Lope

·       The New Mastersounds…All I Want

·       Joe Krown Organ Combo…Living Large

·       Robert Walter’s 20th Congress …Clear All Wires

·       Jim Payne …Scram

·       Fishbelly Black… VIP

·       Mofro …Lazy Fo Acre

·       Garage-A-Trois...Dum Dum Funk Jam

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we
invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for
rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6
PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of
the Sunday Specials. This week we’re renting out a warehouse with one
of MOJA’s greatest guitarists and four of his funky friends as they
set up shop for CHARLIE HUNTER: RIGHT NOW LIVE. When Charlie released
his incredible album Right Now Move in 2003 he was working with a new
label and a new group of all-star players including John Ellis on
sax, Curtis Fowlkes on trombone, Gregoire Maret on harmonica and
drummer Derek Philips. They decided to invite a select group of fans
to witness a performance of this new project while they filmed it for
a DVD and that’s the experience we want to share with you this week.
You’ll hear this great band doing Charlie favorites like “Mestre
Tata,” “Changui,” “Whoop-Ass,” and more!  It’s CHARLIE HUNTER: RIGHT
NOW LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest
MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West
with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at
10 AM & 10 PM ET.  We’ll kick things off with the great George Duke
returning to his roots with “Déjà Vu,” featuring everything from long
form pieces to pure funk and a all-star cast including Nicholas
Payton and Hubert Laws. We’ll follow that with proof that they can
sure get funky in Japan as guitarist and Berklee College of Music
instructor Tomo Fujita gives us his 4th solo effort titled “Pure.”
Then, Ohio-born violinist Christian Howes gives us his best work yet
with the help of guitarist Robben Ford on his new one “Out Of The
Blue,” followed by the veteran group lead by guitarist  Dave Stryker
and saxman Steve Slagle, The Stryker/Slagle Band with a great new
work titled “Keeper.” Then we’ll hear an amazing new work by a band
called Snarky Puppy, 6 guys who got together at North Texas State
University and make some unreal music that they describe as “for your
mind and booty.” They’re new album is titled “Tell Your Friends.” So,
if you want to keep up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE
ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        GEORGE DUKE....Ripple In Time…Deja Vu  (Heads Up)
·        GEORGE DUKE....Stupid Is As Stupid Does…Deja Vu  (Heads Up)
·        TOMO FUJITA....The Good Life…Pure (www.tomofujita.com)
·        TOMO FUJITA....Driving In Texas…Pure (www.tomofujita.com)
·        CHRISTIAN HOWES....Gumbo Klomp…Out Of The Blue (Resonance
Records)
·        CHRISTIAN HOWES....Bobby’s Bad…Out Of The Blue (Resonance
Records)
·        STRYKER/SLAGLE BAND....Keeper…Keeper (Panorama Records)
·        STRYKER/SLAGLE BAND....Came To Believe…Keeper (Panorama
Records)
·        SNARKY PUPPY....The Little People…Tell Your Friends (Ropeadope)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll
begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our
special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  Join us
for the music of three men who proved that sitting behind the drum
kit doesn’t mean you aren’t a leader as we present “BILLY, LENNY &
TONY: FUSION’S GREAT DRUMMERS.” In addition to all the great work
that Billy Cobham did with Miles Davis and then the Mahavishnu
Orchestra, the work that Lenny White did on Miles’ “Bitches Brew”
album then with Return To Forever, and after all the great work that
Tony Williams did with Miles and any number of other jazz greats, all
three of these gentlemen made major musical statements as solo
artists during the Fusion era and that’s what we’ll feature all day
this Friday.  It’s “BILLY, LENNY & TONY: FUSION’S GREAT DRUMMERS,” on
this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, August 21st, we’ll focus on one of the major musical
centers in jazz history and four of the greats from the area as we
present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one
titled “THE ST. LOUIS CONNECTION!” Join Russ Davis as he shares
conversation with and music by four great horn players who have made
their names on the world-wide stage after coming from the St. Louis
area.  You’ll hear from the great saxman, Greg Osby who was born in
St. Louis, and David Sanborn who was born in Tampa but moved to St.
Louis as a young lad and certainly was affected by the style of music
made in the Mississippi River town.  Then, from across the river in
East St. Louis, Illinois, comes two great trumpeters, the young
master Russell Gunn, and a veteran player who has a lasting impact on
jazz almost two decades after his death, Miles Davis. Interview
segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through
Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “THE ST. LOUIS
CONNECTION,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9
AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on
JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE SAMMARTINO
followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the
hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll
wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside
the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on
LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday
from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight
Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!