[JPL] Pronunciations

Larry Appelbaum jumpmonk at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 11:55:15 EDT 2010

Jae,

I share your frustration. It's not always easy to find out correct pronunciation, and sometimes you have to search or even contact the artist or someone who knows them (fortunately, this is now much easier with this list, the internet and social media). In the old days, classical announcers were expected to be erudite and able to pronounce not just names but titles in English, Spanish, Italian, German, etc.  Since a significant percentage of music students at American university or college jazz programs are coming from outside the U.S., the issue will become more prevalent as the rest of the world becomes assimilated into the jazz language.

Jae's important point should be noted any and all promotions people. Whenever you send out a press release with a name that is not obvious how to pronounce, please indicate it. It will make things easier for the rest of us. And artists might consider doing the same on their website or myspace page.

Larry
p.s. it also helps to know the context. Chico is pronounced differently in Spanish vs Portuguese. If Chie is Japanese, standard Japanese pronunciation is Chee-eh.