[JPL] Pronunciations

Seymour, Bob BSeymour at wusf.org
Tue Aug 17 12:10:58 EDT 2010

Let's give credit where it's due...

On the one-sheet from Capri, it says:

(Pronounced Chee-ay Ee-my-zoo-me)

Bob Seymour
WUSF, Tampa

---
I don't know...maybe it's just me but we seem to be getting more and more
product of artists whose names we...I...can't pronounce. Maybe I'm not as
worldly as I thought I was. This is clearly indicative of the cultural
expansiveness of jazz and it's world wide influence...which is a good thing. The
drag though is that we seem to be getting little help from the artists in
telling us how to pronounce their names which for me is becoming increasingly
more frustrating. I put this on the artists because most jazz product now is
self produced. If we can't pronounce the name how does that help the artist?
"Chie" for one example. "Chico" who? Am I the only one that's noticing
this? What can be done about it?

Jae Sinnett