[JPL] Pronunciations

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 14:52:04 EDT 2010

It's not just for new artists either, I mispronounced Jackie McLean's
name for years until I heard him pronounce it McLeen from the stage;
this has been a recurring topic, I remember that Jim Wilke had started
a pronunciation web page somewhere when it's come up before; maybe we
should just encourage artists to ensure that they have a wikipedia
article that includes pronunciation - that's a pretty central
location. ... N

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Larry Appelbaum <jumpmonk at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This week's sponsor:  Detroit Jazz Festival's JazzPlanet tv.
>
> Visit detroitjazzfest.com/jazzplanet for a sneak preview of what to expect Labor Day weekend.
>
> **** SEE MORE DETAILS AT END OF THIS MESSAGE. ****
>
> ---
>
> fwiw, Vijay Iyer puts the pronunciation of his name on his website (Vid-jay), but most people pronounce it Vee-jay.
>
>> Hmmmm...I don't think so Ed but that's my view. If anything, I think it's
>> presumptuous for us to assume to know how to pronounce the name. Are
>> you implying that if an artist phonetically puts their name out there...
>> anywhere for that matter...for pronunciation sake...it's patronizing? Racist?
>> Really?
>>

>> Jae
>>

> This week's sponsor:  Detroit Jazz Festival's JazzPlanet tv.
>
> In partnership with Show Ads Network, Livestream.com and Detroit Public Television, DJF's Jazz Planet stage at Campus Martius will stream via the web what is cool about Detroit and in particular, Detroit Jazz Fest, in real time.  Users around the globe - artists as well as fans - will be able to Skype, tweet and Facebook messages to fans, artists and media hosts in Detroit through detroitjazzfest.com and DJF social media networks.
>
> Viewers everywhere - from London to Afghanistan - will experience the uniqueness of the world's largest free jazz festival, how it blends urban chic and a hip and diverse audience with some of the best music on the planet. "It will be fun, spontaneous, and capture the unique vibe of the festival that Russ Davis (Voice of America) described as "Jazz Disneyland" last year," says Festival Director Terri Pontremoli.
>
> The format of the programming allows artists to share some of their special projects - not only the performances - but what inspired and what went into their works, with hundreds of thousands of people on the web. This broad-ranging exposure may result in more performance opportunities and increased cd sales. "It not only showcases the greatness of Detroit and the Jazz Fest, but perhaps more importantly, nurtures the art form in ways we could only dream of a few years ago," added Pontremoli. "Outside of being here, it's the best seat on the planet!"
>
> Visit detroitjazzfest.com/jazzplanet for a sneak preview of what to expect Labor Day weekend.

====
Nou Dadoun
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://www.coopradio.org/stream.html