[JPL] Pronunciations

Blaise.Lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu Blaise.Lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Tue Aug 17 15:01:04 EDT 2010

I want to know how to pronounce a name, even if I'm only reading it.  I always
wanted a pronunciation guide to Dostoevsky's books.  But maybe I'm freaky
that way, sound is everything to me and even if I'm reading I like to feel
the name in my mouth.  Good thing i'm in radio.

 I would love pronunciation on a CD liner or on the front cover or on the
website.  But I also appreciate that our promoters usually have an inside
track and can give me the 411 when I need it.  I don't always have time to
ask but I'm working on that.

It is true that some people are not played because I don't want my announcers
butchering the name in every way you can imagine and some you can't.  At
least having everyone at the station on the same page mispronouncing it in
the same way gives the illusion of competence.

Is it TEHM-er or Tem-EER

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
www.kjzz.org

That's

>why newspapers (and in my experience, most liner notes) do not include

>pronunciation keys. Why would they?
>
>So, my view was that many of the intended audience might wonder why there
>
>would be a pronunciation key for words that they are unlikely to utter.
Or

>if  they will be speaking the name when discussing the music with their

>friends, by  the time they've purchased the CD or sound file, they quite
>likely
>will  have heard an announcer pronounce it.
>        I know...chicken-and-egg:  how's the announcer supposed to know?
>As
>someone else mentioned, the announcer  should already have a key: in the
>
>one-sheet.
>

>Bottom line: a narrow-viewed (which isn't quite as bad as  narrow-minded)
>
>audience might think that the artist, or the label, was trying to  call

>attention to an ethnic difference between the artist and the audience.
That's

>all I intended to convey. Not that the intent was patronizing or racist,
> but
>could be (mis)interpreted as so.
>

>Seeya'
>Ed
>

>In a message dated 8/17/2010 1:32:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:
>
>Are
>you implying that if an artist phonetically puts their name out  there...
>
>anywhere for that matter...for pronunciation sake...it's  patronizing?
>Racist?
>

>This week's sponsor:  Detroit Jazz Festival's JazzPlanet tv.
>
>In partnership with Show Ads Network, Livestream.com and Detroit Public
Television,
>DJF's Jazz Planet stage at Campus Martius will stream via the web what is
>cool about Detroit and in particular, Detroit Jazz Fest, in real time.
Users