[JPL] Playlist-Summertime, Abbey Lincoln & New Jazz Releases Wednesday, 08/18/10 By George Thomas

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed Aug 18 23:13:55 EDT 2010

Summertime, Abbey Lincoln & New Jazz Releases Wednesday, 08/18/10 By
George Thomas

We continue our sampling of versions of George Gershwin's "Summertime"
with trumpeter Chet Baker's rendition from 1988. Jazz new releases flow in
and we hear a new The Marsalis Family CD with the duo piano sound of Ellis
Marsalis & Harry Connick, Jr. We lost one of the great jazz composers and
vocalists, Abbey Lincoln, last Saturday and hear more of her compositions
& vocals.

Playlist

9:00pm
Summertime
Artist Name 	Chet Baker
Composer 	Gershwin-Gershwin-Heyward
Soloists 	Chet Baker-Trumpet ; Walter Norris-Piano ; Radio Orchestra Hannover
CD/Album 	My Favorite Songs -The Last Great Concert
Record co./Cat # 	Enja 5097 2
Release Year 	1988
Note 	Listener Request

9:05pm
I Can't Get Started
Artist Name 	Mauricio De Souza Group
Composer 	Ira Gershwin-Vernon Duke
Soloists 	Mauricio De Souza-Drums ; Gregory Rivkin-Trumpet/Flugelhorn ;
Jerry Weir-Vibes
CD/Album 	Here, There
Record co./Cat # 	Pulsa Music 1111
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:13pm
Cantalope Island
Artist Name 	Conrad Herwig
Composer 	Herbie Hancock
Soloists 	Conrad Herwig-Trombone ; Eddie Palmieri-Piano ; Randy
Brecker-Trumpet ; Craig Handy-Saxophones
CD/Album 	The Latin Side Of Herbie Hancock
Record co./Cat # 	HalfNote 4544
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:25pm
Sumphin'
Artist Name 	Dizzy Gillespie with Sonny Rollins
Composer 	Dizzy Gillespie
Soloists 	Dizzy Gillespie-Trumpet ; Sonny Rollins-Tenor Sax ; Ray
Bryant-Piano ; Tommy Bryant-Bass ; Charlie Persip-Drums
CD/Album 	Duets
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 836 253-2
Release Year 	1957

9:35pm
I'm In Love
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln featuring Stan Getz
Composer 	Joan Griffin
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Stan Getz-Tenor Sax ; Hank Jones-Piano
CD/Album 	You Gotta Pay The Band
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 511 110-2
Release Year 	1991
Note 	R.I.P. Abbey Lincoln 8.14.2010

9:43pm
Nutty
Artist Name 	Thelonious Monk
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	John Coltrane-Tenor Sax ; Thelonious Monk-Piano ; Wilbur
Ware-Bass ; Shadow Wilson-Drums
CD/Album 	Panorama: Thelonious Monk
Record co./Cat # 	Riverside/ABC 3047
Release Year 	1957

9:49pm
At The House, In Da Pocket
Artist Name 	The Marsalis Family
Composer 	Jason Marsalis
Soloists 	Ellis Marsalis-Piano ; Harry Connick, Jr.-Piano ; Wynton
Marsalis-Trumpet ; Branford Marsalis-Tenor Sax ; Delfeayo
Marsalis-Trombone ; Jason Marsalis-Drums
CD/Album 	Music Redeems
Record co./Cat # 	Marsalis Music 0013
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:00pm
Puttin' On The Ritz
Artist Name 	Dave Van Ronk
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Dave Van Ronk-Vocals, Guitar ; Vince Giordano-Bass Sax
CD/Album 	Sweet & Lowdown
Record co./Cat # 	Justin Time 166-2
Release Year 	2001

10:03pm
Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gave To Me
Artist Name 	Phil Wilson & Makoto Ozone
Composer 	Swanstone-McCarron-Morgan
Soloists 	Phil Wilson-Trombone ; Makoto Ozone-Piano
CD/Album 	Live!!
Record co./Cat # 	Capri Records 71004-2
Release Year 	1982/2010
Note 	New

10:10pm
Blue Skies
Artist Name 	Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Composer 	Irving Berlin
Soloists 	Pete Seeger-Vocals, Banjo ; Tao Rodriguez-Seeger-Vocals
CD/Album 	Preservation
Record co./Cat # 	Preservation Hall Records 01
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:13pm
You're My Everything
Artist Name 	Fred Hersch Trio
Composer 	Harry Warren
Soloists 	Fred Hersch-Piano
CD/Album 	Whirl
Record co./Cat # 	Palmetto Records 2143
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:18pm
Tea For Two
Artist Name 	Mort Weiss
Composer 	Casear-Youmans
Soloists 	Mort Weiss-Clarinet
CD/Album 	Raising The Bar
Record co./Cat # 	SMSJazz 21752
Release Year 	2009
Note 	New

10:24pm
Throw It Away
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln
Composer 	Abbey Lincoln
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Pat Metheny-Acoustic Guitar ; Charlie
Haden-Bass ; Victor Lewis-Drums
CD/Album 	A Turtle's Dream
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 527 382-2
Release Year 	1995
Note 	R.I.P. Abbey Lincoln 8.14.2010

10:29pm
My Love Is You
Artist Name 	Marc Cary
Composer 	Abbey Lincoln
Soloists 	Marc Cary-Piano ; David Ewell-Bass ; Sameer Gupta-Drums
CD/Album 	Focus Trio Live 2009
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 33
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:34pm
Sky Blue
Artist Name 	Julia Dollison & Kerry Marsh
Composer 	Maria Schneider
Soloists 	Julia Dollison-Vocals ; Kerry Marsh-Vocals ; Frank
Kimbrough-Piano ; Jay Anderson-Bass
CD/Album 	Vertical Voices: The Music Of Maria Schneider
Record co./Cat # 	ArtistShare 0103
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:45pm
Music Is The Magic
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln
Composer 	Abbey Lincoln
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Larry Campbell-Guitars
CD/Album 	Abbey Sings Abbey
Record co./Cat # 	Verve B0008900-02
Release Year 	2007
Note 	R.I.P. Abbey Lincoln 8.14.2010

10:48pm
St. James Infirmary
Artist Name 	Anat Cohen
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Anat Cohen-Clarinet ; Benny Green-Piano
CD/Album 	Clarinetwork Live At The Village Vanguard
Record co./Cat # 	Anzic Records 1203
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

--