[JPL] Playlist-Jimmy Rowles, Abbey Lincoln for Thursday, 08/19/10 By George Thomas

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Aug 19 23:33:44 EDT 2010

Jimmy Rowles, Abbey Lincoln for Thursday, 08/19/10 By George Thomas

We celebrate the birthday of pianist, composer and (sometime) vocalist
Jimmy Rowles, who spent most of his career behind the scenes backing
Billie Holiday, Benny Carter, Hoagy Carmichael, Stan Getz and many others.
A real musician's musician. We also continue with our tribute to vocalist,
composer and actor, Abbey Lincoln.

Playlist

9:00pm
Summertime
Artist Name 	Art Pepper
Composer 	Gershwin-Gershwin-Heyward
Soloists 	Art Pepper-Alto Sax ; Russ Freeman-Piano
CD/Album 	Mosaic Select: Art Pepper
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic Select 015
Release Year 	1956

9:08pm
Dear Old Southland
Artist Name 	Evan Christopher
Composer 	Henry Creamer-Turner Layton
Soloists 	Evan Christopher-Clarinet ; Bucky Pizzarelli-Guitar ; James
Chirillo-Electric Guitar
CD/Album 	The Remembering Song
Record co./Cat # 	Arbors Jazz Records 19383
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

9:13pm
Day In Day Out
Artist Name 	Billie Holiday
Composer 	Rube Bloom-Johnny Mercer
Soloists 	Billie Holiday-Vocals ; Jimmy Rowles-Piano ; Ben Webster-Tenor
Sax ; Harry Edison-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Songs For Distingue Lovers
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 815 055-2
Release Year 	1957
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

9:23pm
I'll Never Be The Same
Artist Name 	Stan Getz presents Jimmy Rowles
Composer 	M. Malneck / F. Signorelli / G. Kahn
Soloists 	Stan Getz-Tenor Sax ; Jimmy Rowles-Piano, Vocals
CD/Album 	The Peacocks
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 52975-2
Release Year 	1977
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

9:27pm
Blues
Artist Name 	Clifford Brown
Composer 	Trad.
Soloists 	Clifford Brown-Trumpet ; Lou Donaldson-Alto Sax ; Horace
Silver-Piano ; Curly Russell-Bass ; Art Blakey-Drums
CD/Album 	The Complete Blue Note And Pacific Jazz Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 34195 2
Release Year 	1954

9:33pm
A Walkin' Thing
Artist Name 	Benny Carter
Composer 	Benny Carter
Soloists 	Benny Carter-Alto Sax ; Ben Webster-Tenor Sax ; Frank
Rosolino-Trombone ; Jimmy Rowles-Piano ; Leroy Vinnegar-Bass ; Shelly
Manne-Drums
CD/Album 	Jazz Giant
Record co./Cat # 	Contemporary/OJC 167-2
Release Year 	1958
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

9:43pm
Autumn Serenade
Artist Name 	Kurt Elling
Composer 	Peter de Rose-Sammy Gallop
Soloists 	Kurt Elling-Vocals ; Ernie Watts-Tenor Sax ; Laurence Hobgood-Piano
CD/Album 	Dedicated To You
Record co./Cat # 	Concord Jazz 31314-02
Release Year 	2009

9:46pm
Medley: I Wouldn't Change You For The World / You Are Too Beautiful
Artist Name 	Jimmy Rowles
Composer 	Jones-Newman / Rodgers-Hart
Soloists 	Jimmy Rowles-Piano
CD/Album 	The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic Select 019
Release Year 	1954
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

9:52pm
Bird Alone
Artist Name 	Abbey Lincoln featuring Stan Getz
Composer 	Abbey Lincoln
Soloists 	Abbey Lincoln-Vocals ; Maxine Roach-Viola ; Stan Getz-tenor Sax
; Hank Jones-Piano ; Charlie Haden-Bass
CD/Album 	You Gotta Pay The Band
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 511 110-2
Release Year 	1991
Note 	R.I.P. Abbey Lincoln 8.14.2010

10:03pm
There It Is
Artist Name 	Don Byron
Composer 	James Brown
Soloists 	Don Byron-Tenor Sax ; Dean Bowman-Vocals ; Chris Thomas-Vocals ;
David Gilmore-Guitar ; George Colligan-Organ
CD/Album 	Do The Boomerang - The Music Of Junior Walker
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 41094 2
Release Year 	2006

10:10pm
Hurricane Season
Artist Name 	Trombone Shorty
Composer 	Troy Andrews
Soloists 	Troy "Trombone Shorty" Andrews-Trumpet, Trombone
CD/Album 	Backatown
Record co./Cat # 	Verve Forecast B0014194-02
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:13pm
Ballade
Artist Name 	Antonio Sanchez
Composer 	Antonio Sanchez
Soloists 	Antonio Sanchez-Drums ; Scott Colley-Bass ; Miguel Zenon-Alto
Sax ; David Sanchez-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Live In New York
Record co./Cat # 	CAM Jazz 5035
Release Year 	2010
Note 	New

10:27pm
Odwalla Theme
Artist Name 	Art Ensemble Of Chicago
Composer 	Roscoe Mitchell
Soloists 	Lester Bowie-Trumpet
CD/Album 	Coming Home Jamaica
Record co./Cat # 	Atlantic 82149-2
Release Year 	1998

10:33pm
Tres Palabras
Artist Name 	Bebo Valdes & Javier Colina
Composer 	O. Farres
Soloists 	Bebo Valdes-Piano ; Javier Colina-Bass
CD/Album 	Live At The Village Vanguard
Record co./Cat # 	Calle 54 Records/Norte 721111 2
Release Year 	2008

10:36pm
Manteca
Artist Name 	Dizzy Gillespie
Composer 	Chano Pozo, Gil Fuller, Dizzy Gillespie
Soloists 	Dizzy Gillespie-Trumpet, Vocals
CD/Album 	Dizzy's Diamonds
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 513 875-2
Release Year 	1961

10:43pm
New Orleans
Artist Name 	Hoagy Carmichael
Composer 	Hoagy Carmichael
Soloists 	Hoagy Carmichael-Vocals ; Jimmy Rowles-Piano
CD/Album 	Hoagy Sings Carmichael
Record co./Cat # 	Pacific Jazz 46862 2
Release Year 	1956
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

10:48pm
Music's The Only Thing That's On My Mind
Artist Name 	Jimmy Rowles & George Mraz
Composer 	Jimmy Rowles
Soloists 	Jimmy Rowles-Piano ; George Mraz-Bass
CD/Album 	Music's The Only Thing That's On My Mind
Record co./Cat # 	Audiophile 188
Release Year 	1988
Note 	Birthday: Jimmy Rowles 8.19.1918

10:52pm