[JPL] "Further Definitions of the Days of Awe" new music from The Afro-Semitic Experience and Cantor Jack Mendelson

Jason M Miller jason.miller at lamar.edu
Sat Aug 21 02:03:44 EDT 2010

This is recent email from David Chevan of The Afro-Semitic Experience, check out the link to the track from their latest work "Further Definitions of the Days of Awe".  Wonderful new music for the High Holy Days by a fantastic group of jazz artists!

                  w/ best regards,
                 Jason M. Miller
                 Afternoon Jazz on 91.3 KVLU
                 Beaumont, Texas

I’m sending you this gentle reminder about Further Definitions of the Days of Awe. Next week will be the premiere of our new program of music for the High Holy days. I am also sending you a little hi-ho gift; a free mp3 recording from one of our rehearsals.

Rehearsals are coming along well.  I’ve been working closely with Cantor Jack Mendelson and we have picked out a pretty interesting program with a mix of pieces by Golden Age Cantors along with some newer, more contemporary compositions.  Tonight we add the full band to the mix. I am pretty excited about the possibilities.  About two weeks ago I recorded a rehearsal with Warren Byrd and Cantor Jack Mendelson.  One of the pieces we looked at was Avinu Malkeinu.  Funny thing about playing standards . . . give a listen, we didn’t even talk this one through, we just began playing and this is what came out! If you listen hard you can hear Jack’s air conditioner puttering away in the background.

I’ve posted a link to this mp3 recording of us rehearsing Avinu Malkeinu. Please use this link to download a copy of the recording.

Rehearsal rec. July 29, 2010 Warren Byrd, David Chevan, and Jack Mendelson

 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4WPF9949

If you like what you hear I hope you’ll come to the concert. Also, please forward this link and the concert info to all of your friends, relatives, colleagues, pretty much anyone who you think might like to hear what we are up to.

Thanks,

David

CONFIDENTIALITY: Any information contained in this e-mail (including attachments) is the property of The State of Texas and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. Sending, receiving or forwarding of confidential, proprietary and privileged information is prohibited under Lamar Policy. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.