[JPL] Wayne Shorter B-Day week (plus Lenny White & Lee Ritenour backstage) this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Aug 22 22:40:58 EDT 2010

Wayne turns 77 this Wednesday so we'll celebrate with three of our
weekly specials.  There's lots more too including a little club
hoppin' to see and talk to Lee Ritenour at the Blue Note and Lenny
White at Iridium...come and get it!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (23-29 August 2010)

This Monday, August 23rd, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday”
edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA
Radio. This time the focus is on the great saxophonist, 8-time Grammy-
winner and one of the most important composers in jazz history, WAYNE
SHORTER just 2 days before his 77th birthday on Wednesday the 25th of
August. You’ll hear how Miles Davis stole him from Art Blakey’s band
where his songs like “Footprints,” “ESP,” “Nefertiti,” and others
helped establish him as a major writer.  You’ll hear how he met Joe
Zawinul and they decided to start their own band during the fusion
era, the band that became Weather Report.  You’ll hear all these
great stories and of course you’ll hear lots of that fantastic music.
Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon
Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM
Pacific and since Wednesday, August 25th marks his 77th birthday,
it’s a good time to say happy birthday to the great WAYNE SHORTER!

Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO four times each week, Tuesdays at 9 AM and again at 9 PM
EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST for an hour of up, fun,
funky, booty-moving stuff as only Michelle can serve up.  On Jammin’
Jazz Michelle plays jamband jazz, acid jazz, rock-influenced jazz,
funk, fusion and a little sound of New Orleans too as well as her own
insights that bring this great music to life! So if you can’t get
enough of the funky stuff come and get it on JAMMIN’ JAZZ WITH
MICHELLE four times each week on MOJA Radio! Here’s what you’ll hear
on this week’s show…

ARTIST…SONG

·       Robert Walter’s 20th Congress…Glass Winged Sharp Shooter

·       Dirty Dozen Brass Band…Red Hot Mama

·       Bonerama …Barrone 5

·       Modern Groove Syndicate…Back In The Kitchen With Terry

·       Campbell Brothers…Don’t Let Nobody Turn You

·       Jazz Mandolin Project w/ Trey Anastasio …Hang Ten

·       Charlie Hunter …One For The Kelpers

·       Javon Jackson…In The Pocket

·       Fishbelly Black…Movin’

·       Soulive...Alladin (Live)

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we
invite you to join us inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for
rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6
PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of
the Sunday Specials. This week, since the great Wayne Shorter turns
77 this Wednesday August 25th, we’ll go back in time to celebrate one
of his greatest live performances as we present WEATHER REPORT: LIVE
IN EUROPE 1978. On September 28th, 1978 Joe Zawinul, Wayne Shorter,
Jaco Pastorius and new drummer Peter Erskine took the stage in
Offenbach, Germany to play a set that would include the songs that
would turn into the Grammy-winning album "8:30."  Peter Erskine was
quoted as saying this set in Germany was better than the one that
became that live album.  So if you'd like to check it out, just join
us for WEATHER REPORT: LIVE IN EUROPE 1978 on this week’s edition of
LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest
MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West
with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at
10 AM & 10 PM ET.  At last we can finally premier the brilliant new
release featuring big band treatments of some of John Scofield’s
great songs on the new CD simply titled “54.” John and the great
arranger Vince Mendoza have been friends and associates for years and
as Vince has been working with one of Europe’s greatest big bands,
the Metropole Orchest from The Netherlands, and had been doing big
band versions of Sco classics like “Twang,” and “Polo Towers,” he
decided it would be cool to have the man himself play along. You’ll
be mighty glad he did. Then,  we’ll give you more of the music we
premiered last week  with Ohio-born violinist Christian Howes with
the help of guitarist Robben Ford on his new one “Out Of The Blue,”
followed by an amazing new work by a band called Snarky Puppy, 6 guys
who got together at North Texas State University and make some unreal
music that they describe as “for your mind and booty.” They’re new
album is titled “Tell Your Friends.” So, if you want to keep up with
all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four
times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        JOHN SCOFIELD/VINCE MENDOZA....Carlos…54 (Emarcy)
·        JOHN SCOFIELD/VINCE MENDOZA....Polo Towers…54 (Emarcy)
·        SNARKY PUPPY....White Cap…Tell Your Friends (Ropeadope Records)
·        SNARKY PUPPY....Ready Wednesday…Tell Your Friends (Ropeadope
Records)
·        JOHN SCOFIELD/VINCE MENDOZA....Twang…54 (Emarcy)
·        JOHN SCOFIELD/VINCE MENDOZA....Peculiar…54 (Emarcy)
·        CHRISTIAN HOWES....Fingerprints…Out Of The Blue (Resonance
Records)

One of the greatest MOJA saxophonists and composers is in the
spotlight all day this Friday here on MOJA Radio with our special
feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION. Every Friday
beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour
with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history and this week join us for
the music of one of the all time greats just two days after his 77th
birthday as we present “WAYNE SHORTER’S GREATEST FUSION HITS.” After
his work with Art Blakey and then Miles Davis Wayne began to have his
own musical ideas. He’d written some of Miles’ most famous songs and
even before he left Miles last great quintet he was recording his own
work in the late 60’s on albums like “Schizophrenia,” and “Super
Nova,” while contributing to Miles’ early fusion works like “In A
Silent Way,” “Bitches Brew,” and others. Then, in 1970, he and old
friend Joe Zawinul formed one of fusion’s greatest bands, Weather
Report and the rest is history. Along the way he also collaborated
with Brazil’s Milton Nascimento on “Native Dancer,” one of fusion’s
most interesting releases.  You’ll hear it all, all day if you join
us for “WAYNE SHORTER’S GREATEST FUSION HITS,” on this week’s edition
of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

You’re invited to run the streets of New York with Russ Davis is
Saturday, August 28th, as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC
on MOJA Radio this one titled “NEW YORK CLUB-HOPPING: LEE RITENOUR
AND LENNY WHITE!” Friday August 13th was one of those lucky nights in
New York when, if you had the time, you could see as many famous jazz
artists as you cared to. On that night Russ Davis hit the streets to
see Lee Ritenour at the Blue Note in Greenwich Village and then
rushed uptown to Times Square to hear Lenny White play his new jazz-
rock with an all-star band including the great guitarist Jimmy
Herring. Before his show Lee sat down with Russ to talk about his
incredible new release “Lee Ritenour’s 6-String Theory,” featuring 20
great guitarists and after Lenny’s set they talked about his new
release “Anomaly,”   Interview segments followed by music will begin
each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM
Pacific). We’ve got some extra taxi money so come join us for “NEW
YORK CLUB-HOPPING: LEE RITENOUR AND LENNY WHITE,” on this week’s
WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9
AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on
JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE SAMMARTINO
followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the
hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll
wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside
the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on
LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday
from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight
Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!