[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Jimmy Amadie & Kneebody's Shane Endsley!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Aug 23 09:47:52 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100823_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(AUGUST 23, 2010) -- This coming Sunday, August 29, is the fifth
anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and the man-made engineering disaster
that flooded the city of New Orleans. Next Monday, the day after that
anniversary, my guest will be Andrew Lamb, whose album New Orleans Suite
(Engine, 2006) was recorded two weeks after Katrina and has just been
remastered and re-released. In the meantime, you can listen to my
interviews with several New Orleans musicians, including Terence
Blanchard, Jeff Albert, Jason and Ellis Marsalis, the Dirty Dozen Brass
Band and others. You'll find all my New Orleans interviews here:

http://thejazzsession.com/category/new-orleans/

Of course, at the same time as Gulf residents are dealing with the
aftermath of Katrina, they're facing another crisis – the BP oil
disaster. Two of my poems were featured this week at Poets For Living
Waters, a poetic response to the crisis. You'll find my poems here:

http://poetsgulfcoast.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/two-poems-by-jason-crane/

It was pointed out to me earlier this week that I need to mention my
book more often. As many of you know, I published my first book of
poetry earlier this year. It's called Unexpected Sunlight (FootHills
Publishing, 2010) and you'll find it here:

http://jasoncrane.org/store

This week on the show: Jimmy Amadie (TJS #193, Monday) and Shane Endsley
of Kneebody (TJS #194, Thursday).

Next week: Andrew Lamb (TJS #195, Monday) and John Escreet (TJS #196,
Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #193: Jimmy Amadie. Pianist Jimmy Amadie has recorded seven albums,
despite being able to play for just a couple hours every few months as a
result of severe problems with his hands. On his most recent record,
Kindred Spirits (TP Recordings, 2010), Amadie is joined by Lee Konitz,
Joe Lovano and Lew Tabackin, among others. In this interview, Amadie
talks about the long road back to playing; his subsequent battle with
cancer; and his desire to have his music judged against the master
musicians of the genre. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #194: Shane Endsley of Kneebody. For more than a decade, Kneebody
has been making music that’s hard to classify and harder to resist.
Their new album is You Can Have Your Moment (Winter & Winter, 2010). In
this interview, trumpeter Shane Endsley talks about the band’s different
approach to recording the new album; the complex series of musical cues
the band uses to arrange music live on stage; and how the combination of
Theo Bleckmann and Charles Ives led to a recording relationship with the
Winter & Winter label. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 8/26/10.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane