[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Remembering Katrina with Andrew Lamb, plus an interview with John Escreet!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Aug 30 06:37:35 EDT 2010

You can view a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter here:

http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/100830_tjs_newsletter.pdf

Or read it the old-fashioned way below:

(AUGUST 30, 2010) -- Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of Hurricane
Katrina and the man-made engineering disaster that flooded the city of New
Orleans. That event was a very transformative one for me, and I wrote a
short essay this weekend to explain why. You'll find the piece, "Five
Years After Katrina: What Right Have I To Mourn?" at my blog:

http://jasoncrane.org/2010/08/28/five-years-after-katrina-what-right-have-i-to-mourn/

My guest on today's show is Andrew Lamb, whose album New Orleans Suite
(Engine, 2006) was recorded two weeks after Katrina and has just been
remastered and re-released. I invite you to also listen to my interviews
with several New Orleans musicians, including Terence Blanchard, Jeff
Albert, Jason and Ellis Marsalis, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and others.
You'll find all my New Orleans interviews here:

http://thejazzsession.com/category/new-orleans/

Two of my poems were featured last week at Poets For Living Waters, a poetic
response to the Gulf oil crisis. You'll find my poems here:

http://poetsgulfcoast.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/two-poems-by-jason-crane/

On a lighter note: Happy Birthday to my mom, who turns (redacted) on
September 3!

It was pointed out to me recently that I need to mention my book more
often. As many of you know, I published my first book of poetry earlier
this year. It's called Unexpected Sunlight (FootHills Publishing, 2010)
and you'll find it here:

http://jasoncrane.org/store

This week on the show: Andrew Lamb (TJS #195, Monday) and John Escreet
(TJS #196, Thursday).

Next week: Steve Cardenas (TJS #197, Monday) and Theo Bleckmann (TJS #198,
Thursday).

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #195: Andrew Lamb. Two weeks after Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf
Coast, Andrew Lamb's trio went into the studio to record a response, the
album New Orleans Suite (Engine Studios, 2005 & 2010). Now that album has
been remastered and reissued to mark the fifth anniversary of the storm
and the engineering disaster that flooded New Orleans. In this interview,
Lamb talks about his personal connections to New Orleans; the experience
of making the record in the days immediately after the storm; and why he
feels musicians have a responsibility to make music that talks about
social and political issues. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW. LISTEN

TJS #196: John Escreet. Pianist John Escreet explores a structured freedom
on his album, Don't Fight The Inevitable (Mythology, 2010). In this
interview, Escreet talks about his upbringing in England; his important
experiences with drummer Tyshawn Sorey and saxophonist David Binney; and a
new commission that debuts this month. SHOW AVAILABLE STARTING 9/2/10.

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

--
Jason Crane