[JPL] The New Jazz Singers in the spotlight this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 08:46:36 EDT 2010

We're placing the spotlight on the folks we call "The New Jazz
Singers" with various specials this week on MOJA Radio
(www.mojaradio.com) plus funky stuff on JAMMIN' JAZZ, a ton of great
new music just added this week (Check the ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE) and
much more this week on THE WORLD'S MODERN JAZZ RADIO CHANNEL!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio/VOA
105 East 16th Street
# 7 South
New York, NY 10003
russ at mojaradio.com
		jazz-america at voa.gov

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (30 August-5 September 2010)

We’ll celebrate one of the greatest vocalists in all of jazz history
this Monday, August 30th, as we present another edition of our
special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio, and this time
the focus is on the great AL JARREAU. He’s the only vocalist to win
Grammy awards in three categories, jazz, pop and r&b, for a total of
6 Grammy’s in all. You’ll hear about his beginnings growing up in
Milwaukee, his breakthrough as a singer on the West Coast with George
Duke, his many great collaborations and his rise to international
stardom. And of course you’ll hear lots of that fantastic music. Al
has recovered from a recent collapse during his European tour but
he’s back on stage again and we’re happy to celebrate this great
artist and ageless wonder who just turned 70 this past Spring! Listen
for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM
Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and
this week you’re invited to spend an hour with one of MOJA’s most
popular voices, the great AL JARREAU!

  Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE
SAMMARTINO four times each week, Tuesdays at 9 AM and again at 9 PM
EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST for an hour of up, fun,
funky, booty-moving stuff as only Michelle can serve up.  On Jammin’
Jazz Michelle plays jamband jazz, acid jazz, rock-influenced jazz,
funk, fusion and a little sound of New Orleans too as well as her own
insights that bring this great music to life! So if you can’t get
enough of the funky stuff come and get it on JAMMIN’ JAZZ WITH
MICHELLE four times each week on MOJA Radio! Here’s what you’ll hear
on this week’s show…

ARTIST…SONG

·       Bonerama …Bone Up

·       Ken Field’s Revolutionary Snake Ensemble…Soul Power

·       Johnny Sketch & The Dirty Notes …Saucy Jack

·       Javon Jackson…Jim Jam

·       Jimmy Herring…Headstrong

·       The New Mastersounds …Baby Bouncer

·       Joe Krown Organ Combo …Slow Daddy

·       Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe…Satisfied Jam (Live @ High Sierra)

·       Fishbelly Black…Mr. Bobo

·       Garage A Trois...Oute Mer

·       Up Bustle & Out…Strudel

You are cordially invited to join us inside the world’s only
imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by some of the
greatest singers in MOJA on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand
which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio.  Listen
Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6
PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of
the Sunday Specials. This week, since we’re focusing this week on
great vocalists in MOJA, we’ll present THE NEW JAZZ SINGERS LIVE.
You’ll hear three of our most beautiful ladies, Nora Jones, Nnenna
Freelon and Dianne Reeves. Then, from rock to jazz,  you’ll hear
Sting with Branford Marsalis and Joni Mitchell with Pat Metheny &
Jaco Pastorius.  You’ll go to Paris to hear pianist and vocalist
Patricia Barber and we’ll top it off with the great Al Jarreau in
concert. So if you'd like to check it out, just join us for THE NEW
JAZZ SINGERS LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

LIVE @ MOJALand PLAYLIST!
ARTIST…SON
Nora Jones …I’ve Got To See You Again (4:53)
  Nnenna Freelon …Body & Soul (4:52)
  Dianne Reeves …Afro Blue (5:48)
  Sting…Consider Me Gone ( 4:42)
  Sting…Down So Long (4:25)
Joni Mitchell…Coyote  (4:56)
  Joni Mitchell…The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines (4:33)
  Patricia Barber …Norwegian Wood ( 7:10)
   Patricia Barber …Whiteworld ( 6:08)
Al Jarreau…Mas Que Nada (5:15)
  Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of nothing but the freshest
MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West
with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at
10 AM & 10 PM ET.  We’ll begin with the latest from guitar wiz Bill
Frisell who squeezes everything you can out of a trio of guitar,
drums and viola on the new CD simply titled “Beautiful Dreamers.” New
York bassist Matt Geraghty brings in an all-star cast including Gil
Goldstein, guitarist Neal Alger, vocalist Anna Maria Jopek and
trumpeter Avishai Cohen for “Departures.” Panamanian pianist Danilo
Perez continues his rise to worldwide jazz stardom with his new work
“Providencia,” featuring saxophonist Rudresh Mahanthappa. Bassist
Charnett Moffett has been around since the 1980’s and his new one,
“Treasure,” may be his best with a world-jazz flavor and special
guest Stanley Jordan. Then pianist Rachel Z and drummer Omar Hakim
lead The Trio Of Oz on the album of the same name as they give the
jazz treatment to 10 alternative rock classics including the work of
Alice In Chains and Morrissey. Then, if you’re hungry for something
funky, electric and full of fire, listen up for the latest from the
band from Boston who call themselves Otis Grove. They’re new album is
“The Runk,” and it’ll knock your socks off! So, if you want to keep
up with all the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE
four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        Bill Frisell....Winslow Homer…Beautiful Dreamers (Savoy Jazz)
·        Matt Geraghty Project....Manhattan In Three Minutes…
Departures (Omnilingual)
·        Danilo Perez....Galactic Panama…Providencia (Mack Avenue)
·        Danilo Perez....Cobilla…Providencia (Mack Avenue)
·        Charnett Moffett....The Celebration…Treasure (Motema)
·        Charnett Moffett....Beam Me Up…Treasure (Motema)
·        The Trio Of Oz....Angry Chair…The Trio Of Oz (Ozmosis)
·        The Trio Of Oz....There Is A Light…The Trio Of Oz (Ozmosis)
·        Otis Grove....Basket Case…The Runk (Ropeadope)
·        Otis Grove....Plywood Snowshoe …The Runk (Ropeadope)
·        Otis Grove....Rock City…The Runk (Ropeadope)
We’re focusing on the vocalists in MOJA all week so all day this
Friday we’ll continue that theme here on MOJA Radio with our special
feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION. Every Friday
beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour
with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history and this week join us for
the music of the singers who made fusion history as we present
“FUSION’S GREATEST VOCAL HITS.” You just may be surprised at all the
great vocalizing that went on in the 1970’s during Fusion’s heyday.
How about Al Jarreau’s 70’s classics “We Got By,” and “Look To The
Rainbow,” or the contribution of Brazilian vocalists like Flora Purim
with Return To Forever or Milton Nascimento with Wayne Shorter?  How
about George Duke funky offerings, or Joni Mitchell’s collaborations
with jazzers like Tom Scott, Pat Metheny & Jaco Pastorious? Then
there’s Jaco with Sam & Dave, Les McCann & Eddie Harris, Return To
Forever’s vocal tunes featuring Chick Corea’s wife Gayle Moran and
Stanley Clarke, plus Stanley’s collaborations with George Duke and
the vocal work of the father of afrobeat, Fela Kuti of Nigeria.
You’ll hear it all, all day if you join us for “FUSION’S GREATEST
VOCAL HITS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE
FUSION.

  This Saturday, September 4th, we’ll focus on the blending of
instruments and voices as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC
on MOJA Radio this one titled “BACKING UP THE SINGERS!” You’ll hear
David Sanborn talking about working with Sting and Cassandra Wilson,
Al Di Meola on working with Russian singer Leonid Augutin, Pat
Metheny working with Polish vocalist Anna Maria Jopek, Chick Corea on
his collaboration with Bobby McFerrin, George Duke on working with
Frank Zappa, The Yellowjackets’ Jimmy Haslip on producing Carol
Welsman’s album, John Scofield on guest vocalist John Mayer, Marcus
Miller on working with Macy Gray, Roy Hargrove with guest vocalist
Rene Neufville and Herbie Hancock on working with Sting and Paul
Simon. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from
Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for
“BACKING UP THE SINGERS,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

  Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special
features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9
AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on
JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION WITH MICHELLE SAMMARTINO
followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the
hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll
wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside
the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on
LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday
from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight
Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!