[JPL] This week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 08:59:46 EDT 2010

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (1-7 November 2010)

This Monday, November 1st, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on a multi-Grammy Award winning band and one of the undisputed supergroups of MOJA, THE YELLOWJACKETS, who celebrate their 30 anniversary in 2011! Join Russ Davis as founding members Russell Ferrante and Jimmy Haslip recall their early days as the backup band for blues/rock guitarist Robben Ford., how the band got its name, and how they have moved through the decades of changes while always maintaining the highest level of creativity. You’ll hear the stories and of course we’ll give you an hour of their incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on another of MOJA’s greatest groups, THE YELLOWJACKETS!

In the mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

By popular demand one of the greatest fusion bands returns again and on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand as we present RETURN TO FOREVER IN MONTREUX 2008. You can hear LIVE @ MOJALand four times each week here on MOJA Radio.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM ET and again Wednesday night at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM ET, as part of the Sunday Specials. Chick Corea formed the original RTF in 1971 and after about 8 glorious years broke up the band. They reformed in 1983 for a quick reunion and then, after 25 years apart, Chick, Stanley Clarke, Lenny White and Al Di Meola came back for a third time around with the triumphant “Return To Forever Returns 2008 World Tour.” If you missed it or just want to relive that monumental performance, join us in Switzerland for RETURN TO FOREVER IN MONTREUX 2008 on this week’s edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you more of the funky, jammin’ Euro-Jazz from the new release titled “Party Factor” from Austrian organist Raphael Wressnig. Then you’ll get another of America’s great artists working with a big band to bring small group songs to a different place as saxman Bill Evans plays some of this most famous tunes with Dave Weckl, Mark Egan & Europe’s WDR Big Band on “Vans Joint.” Then you’ll hear updated versions of Thelonious Monk classics as The Microscopic Septet gives us “Friday The 13th.” Then it’s off to Spain and New Orleans for Cassandra Wilson’s new album titled “Silver Pony.” She’s moved to the Cresent City now and plays with her band of New Orleans greats in the studio as well as live in Spain.  And speaking of live, guitarist B. D. Lenz blends rock, soul, jazz and funk with his first live release “Five & Live,” recorded at three different jazz festivals in the past year. To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        Cassandra Wilson...St. James Infirmary…Silver Pony (Blue Note)
·        Pete Levin...Candido…Jump! (Pete Levin Music)
·        Bill Evans...Soulbop…Vans Joint (BHM Productions)
·        Bill Evans...Vans Joint…Vans Joint (BHM Productions)
·        B.D. Lenz...Friday Night At The Cadillac Club…Five & Live (BDLENZ Music)
·        B.D. Lenz...Superstitution…Five & Live (BDLENZ Music)
·        Raphael Wressnig...Exit Soul-Ville…Party Factor (BHM Productions)
·        Raphael Wressnig...Afterparty At The Zoo…Party Factor (BHM Productions)

Listen for a day filled with the music of some of the greats of fusion playing in a one-time only event with this week’s edition of our special feature IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION, one we call “FUSION’S ALL-STAR SUPER-JAMS.” Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history and this week, some of the greats of the genre get together for some special collaborations with their fellow superstars.  You’ll hear George Duke with Billy Cobham live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1976 and also at the Los Angeles club Thee Experience with Jean-Luc Ponty in 1969.  You’ll also hear the incredible Trio of Doom featuring John McLaughlin, Jaco Pastorious and Tony Williams with studio recordings in New York and a live performance in Havana, Cuba from 1979. So join us for “FUSION’S ALL-STAR SUPER-JAMS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 6th, we’ll delve into the very essence of it all as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “THE SONG’S THE THING!” When Shakespeare’s Prince Hamlet announced “The Play’s The Thing,” he let all listening know that he had a plan to expose the truth of a very serious situation.  Well, we don’t have such a dire situation here on MOJA Radio, all we have to do is let 12 MOJA greats give us the 411 on some of their most popular tunes. Al Di Meola talks about “Flesh on Flesh,” Chick Corea tells us about “Spain,” Christian McBride on “Boogie Woogie Waltz,” Dave Samuels talks about his great song “Rendezvous” with CJP, David Sanborn on Eddie Harris & his version of “Listen Here,” George Duke on Cannonball Adderly and “The Black Messiah,” Marcus Miller talks about recording the Hendrix classic “Power Of Soul,” Grover Washington, Jr. on “Winelight,” Herbie Hancock talks about recording “Sister Moon” with Sting, Jean-Luc Ponty on recording Bud Powell’s classic “Parisian Thoroughfare,” Joe Zawinul talks about “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy,” and Stanley Clarke talks about “School Days.” Interview segments followed by music from the the group will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It’s “THE SONG’S THE THING,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (8-14 November 2010)

This Monday, November 8th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll feature an hour of one of the most versatile keyboardists in modern jazz, LARRY GOLDINGS! Larry’s known primarily as an organist and the leader of his own great trio for years featuring guitarist Peter Bernstein and drummer Bill Stewart, and you’ll hear plenty of that, but he’s also worked with a number of other greats like Maceo Parker, John Scofield, Madeleine Peyroux, James Taylor and many others. This Boston boy is also a fine acoustic pianist and we’ll hear a little bit of every facet of his wonderful work. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on another of MOJA’s greatest keyboardists, LARRY GOLDINGS!