[JPL] PLAYLIST: The next Jazz America on VOA

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 09:01:05 EDT 2010

Following is the log for the next JAZZ AMERICA program from the Voice of America, now heard by more listeners than ever before, not only on the entertainment service MusicMix, but also on the worldwide VOA service via shortwave transmission. The show is two hours long and reaches a potential audience of 134 million listeners worldwide each weekend.

Jazz America airs twice each weekend online in the Eastern time zone on Saturday from 1-3 AM (That's 11 PM-1 AM Pacific time, Friday into Saturday AM) and Sunday from 9-11 AM Eastern time (That's 6-9 AM Pacific). Go to the following url…(http://www1.voanews.com/english/programs/radio/64963177.html)

…to get more info on Jazz America and to listen to the latest program in MP3 form or on Windows Media Player.

Listen on Shortwave:  1300 GMT/UTC Saturdays and Sundays

Africa - 4.95 6.08 13.57 15.58 17.895 mhz

Middle East and Europe - 12.005 15.53 mhz

Asia and Pacific - 7.43 7.575 9.7 12.15 mhz

Jazz America is also heard on affiliate FM & AM stations worldwide. International listeners should check their local radio station guide for more information. For any comments or communication you can reach me by email at jazz-america at voa.gov.

Jazz America with Russ Davis

105 east 16th street/# 7 south•new york, ny 10003

phone...212 614-0424   email…jazz-america at voa.gov

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1181...6-7 NOVEMBER 2010

WES MONTGOMERY...road song (road song)

CASSANDRA WILSON...st. james infirmary (silver pony)

*Gary Burton Interview

GARY BURTON...bag’s groove (for hamp, red, bags and cal)

DON BYRON…mark anthony speaks (do the boomerang)

LEE RITENOUR & B.B. KING…why I sing the blues (6 string theory)

CYRUS CHESTNUT...smitty’s joint (journeys)

* Gary Burton Interview

GARY BURTON...question and answer (tbd)

BILL EVANS...soulbop (vans joint)

JAZZ AMERICA...SHOW #1182...6-7 NOVEMBER 2010

RAY CHARLES...it hurts to be in love (rare genius: the undiscovered masters)

HOUSTON PERSON…bleeker street (moment to moment)

* Gary Burton Interview

GARY BURTON...six pack (six pack)

CHARLES MINGUS…boogie stop shuffle (mingus ah um)

LOUIS ARMSTRONG…don’t forget to mess around (1925)

MADELEINE PEYROUX…dance me to the end of love (careless love)

* Gary Burton Interview

GARY BURTON...missouri uncompromised (quartet live)

JOE LOVANO…52nd street theme (52nd street themes)

HUBERT LAWS…miss thing (the laws of jazz)

Next Show…SHOWS #1183-1184...13-14 NOVEMBER 2010

Special Feature…VOICES FROM DETROIT-PART 6!

Russ Davis takes you backstage at the 31st Detroit Jazz Festival to talk to some of the artists who performed there to get their comments on playing in Detroit and there latest projects. We’ll hear from Alex Bugnon, Danilo Perez, Tia Fuller and Terence Blanchard.