[JPL] PLAYLIST: Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz #29 - "Vanessa's Choice" (soulandjazz.com)

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue Nov 2 22:12:24 EDT 2010

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 29: “Vanessa’s Choice:

Hosted & Produced by J. Scott Fugate, “The Jazz Evangelist”

Today is my wife Vanessa’s birthday, so on this episode of Continuum I figured I would make it all about her – thus, I have featured a few of her favorites. I’m sure you won’t mind, because she has marvelous, discriminating & diverse taste. So, come join her surprise party!

It’s free, legal, CD quality and available to download here & now:  http://bit.ly/9G6SDc

The show starts with music from our favorite musical location: New Orleans . . . featuring some Funk-Jazz from Trombone Shorty, brand new music from the King of Treme – Kermit Ruffins - some traditional Jazz from Dave Ruffner, and some funky Soul from Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen.

My wife is a classically trained opera singer with a highly critical ear, so I chose singers from the Jazz continuum that she enjoys without reservation – Rene Marie, Roberta Gambarini, Esperanza Spalding, Dianne Reeves & Maysa . . . including one of her favourite dance tracks from Incognito.

We finish up with some cross-over Classical/Gypsy Jazz from Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing Trio, and represent the ying & yang balance of relationships with something from Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong.

If you have birthday greetings of your own for Vanessa, you can most certainly send them to her by writing to Scott at SoulandJazz.com . . . and feel free to add any comments or suggestions for me. Enjoy the ride!

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz

Episode 29: Vanessa’s Choice

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Troy “Trombone Shorty” Andrews - Orleans & Claiborne - Orleans & Claiborne -2005
- (Treme)

Kermit Ruffins - I Got A Treme Woman - Happy Talk - 2010
- (Basin Street)

Dave Ruffner - Down Home Rag - Dixieland Trombone - 2010
- (Dave Ruffner)

Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen - Just Kissed My Baby - Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen - 2002
- (Basin Street)

Rene Marie - Rim Shot - Experiment In Truth - 2007
- (Rene Marie)

Roberta Gambarini - Just Squeeze Me - You Are There - 2007
- (Groovin’ High)

Esperanza Spalding  - Precious - Esperanza - 2008
- (Heads Up)

Dianne Reeves - Midnight Sun - When You Know - 2008
- (Blue Note)

Maysa  - Can We Change The World? - Maysa - 1995
- (GRP)

Incognito - Listen To The Music - Adventures In Black Sunshine - 2004
- (Narada)

Mark O’Connor’s Hot Swing Trio - Gypsy Fantastic - Live in New York - 2005
- (Omac)

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong  - I Got Plenty O’ Nuttin’ - Porgy & Bess  - 1958 – (Verve)