[JPL] This week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 09:02:32 EST 2010

We have a new website and MOJA Radio player plus lots of other features on the way this week...as well as our many special programs...check it out!

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (8-14 November 2010)

This Monday, November 8th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll feature an hour of one of the most versatile keyboardists in modern jazz, LARRY GOLDINGS! Larry’s known primarily as an organist and the leader of his own great trio for years featuring guitarist Peter Bernstein and drummer Bill Stewart, and you’ll hear plenty of that, but he’s also worked with a number of other greats like Maceo Parker, John Scofield, Madeleine Peyroux, James Taylor and many others. This Boston boy is also a fine acoustic pianist and we’ll hear a little bit of every facet of his wonderful work. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on another of MOJA’s greatest keyboardists, LARRY GOLDINGS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week since we celebrate one of the hardest working bands in MOJA and the purveyors of "Red Dirt Jazz" as we present JFJO: LIL’ TAE RIDES AGAIN LIVE!  Even though Brian Haas and the band that is the pride of Tulsa, Oklahoma created what in essence was a "Jazztronica" album with their 2008 release "Lil' Tae Rides Again," they found that when they used the lap steel, an instrument heard more in country music, in the live show, they achieved something very interesting...the blending of jazz, electronica and the traditional music of their Oklahoma roots.  They call it "Red Dirt Jazz" and it's unique to JFJO.  So if you'd like to sample some, just join us for JFJO: LIL’ TAE RIDES AGAIN LIVE on this week's edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you more from two new releases we premiered last week including the great keyboardist Pete Levin’s new one titled “Jump!” with special guests Lenny White, Manolo Badrena & Dave Stryker. Then more from another of America’s great artists working with a big band to bring small group songs to a different place. It’s saxman Bill Evans plays some of this most famous tunes with Dave Weckl, Mark Egan & Europe’s WDR Big Band on “Vans Joint.” Then you’ll hear updated versions of Thelonious Monk classics as The Microscopic Septet gives us “Friday The 13th.” And we’ll top it off with the great singer, guitarist and songwriter KJ Denhert’s new one titled “Album No. 9” filled with everything from her own tunes to Deep Purple jazzified. To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·        KJ Denhert...Smoke On The Water…Album No. 9 (Motema)
·        KJ Denhert...Let It Go…Album No. 9 (Motema)
·        Bill Evans...Soulgrass…Vans Joint (BHM Productions)
·        Bill Evans...Cool Eddie…Vans Joint (BHM Productions)
·        Pete Levin...The Big Dog Is Always Right…Jump! (Pete Levin Music)
·        Pete Levin...Jump!…Jump! (Pete Levin Music)
·        The Microscopic Septet...Teo…Friday The 13th (Cuneiform)
·        The Microscopic Septet...We See…Friday The 13th (Cuneiform)

Without the electric guitar there would probably have never been music we call Fusion, and we’ll focus on that fact with this week’s edition of our special feature IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION, one we call “ENGLISH JAZZ-ROCK GUITAR GODS.” Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history and this week, you’ll hear from Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin & Allan Holdsworth, three men from England who brought rock sensibilities to an improvised setting and helped revolutionize jazz forever. John McLaughlin’s work with his group The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jeff Beck with The Jan Hammer Group and Stanley Clarke, and Allan Holdworth with Tony Williams Lifetime as well as solo work by all of these greats of the guitar is legendary and significant in the history of Jazz Fusion.  On top of that it’s just great to feel that energy again, and feel it you will if you join us for “ENGLISH JAZZ-ROCK GUITAR GODS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 13th, you’re invited to do some club-hopping with Russ Davis as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “BACKSTAGE WITH GARY BURTON & KENNY GARRETT!” As you may know, MOJA Radio world headquarters is located on a small island off the coast of the USA called Manhattan, and it just so happens that some of the world’s most famous jazz clubs are there, so join Russ for a visit between sets at The Blue Note with the legendary Gary Burton and find out how country music is important to him, how he developed the 4-mallet technique, all about his new band and more. Then it’s off to The Iridium on Times Square as Kenny Garrett set up shop for a three-night run to celebrate his 50th birthday to talk about this momentous birthday, his many accolades, his love of Far Eastern culture and more. Interview segments followed by music from these two great masters will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us “BACKSTAGE WITH GARY BURTON & KENNY GARRETT,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (15-21 November 2010)

This Monday, November 15th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This time you’ll hear the thoughts and tunes of an artist who straddled two banks of the river connecting jazz and rock in a way unlike any other, the great FRANK ZAPPA! You’ll get the mojo behind the music from two jazz greats who worked with Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke and you’ll hear Zappa’s unique vision of modern jazz from the great composer, guitarist, bandleader and innovator who carved out his own special place in music history. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on another of MOJA’s greatest, FRANK ZAPPA!