[JPL] Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran - Interview with Red Rodney (re-mixed & re-produced on soulandjazz.com)

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Tue Nov 9 17:59:39 EST 2010

Soulandjazz.com Presents:
Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran
Episode 4: Red Rodney

Remixed & Additional Music Production by J. Scott Fugate

Free & Legal to download right here & now:  http://bit.ly/9Dbqy2

Here’s the story: back in the mid-80’s on National Public Radio (NPR) in America, a show ran called Sidran On Record. Presented by Ben Sidran, a musician, author, lecturer and journalist, the show featured interviews with the great and the good from the world of Jazz. Miles, Dizzy, Herbie and Grover were amongst 60 interviews that ran over the course of 5 years. Many of the legends featured are sadly no longer with us, but the recordings are, and several years back Ben released these as part of a wonderful, 24 CD box set called Talking Jazz – bringing to life a golden period of entertainment and understanding as we learn about the masters, their thoughts and their works. Whilst this may seem like an advert for this prestigious box set, it isn’t really. Promise. We’ve been in touch with Ben and asked for his permission to use these interviews and create our own shows based on his works. Ben gave it two thumbs up and we’re delighted to present to you Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran, our most ambitious project to date.

Here’s the Episode: Episode Four of this intriguing series is once again produced by Scott Fugate and details the music and inspiration of Robert Roland Chudnick, better known as Red Rodney, an American bop and hard bop trumpeter. Born in Philadelphia, he became a professional musician at fifteen and worked with many of the Jazz legends: Woody Herman, Jimmy Dorsey and Benny Goodman. His life was certainly colorful and his career, which spanned the mid-forties through until the late nineties, was inspired by such greats as Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie. Not necessarily a household name, he certainly was an important part of the Jazz Continuum – as Ben Sidran finds out.

If you fancy buying the essential box set, which includes the full sixty interviews, then here’s where you need to go: http://www.talkingjazz.com

PLAYLIST: Talking Jazz with Ben Sidran

Episode 4: Red Rodney

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Red Rodney - The Baron (partial) - The Red Rodney Quintets - 1951

Woody Herman & His Orchestra  - Early Autumn (partial) - Early Autumn - 1948

Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Shaw ‘Nuff (partial) -  Burnin’ Bird - 1945

Charlie Parker - Parker’s Mood (partial) - Rare Songs - 1948

Original Klezmer Jazz Band - The E. Houston St. Parade (partial) - Original Klezmer Jazz Band - 2010

Charlie Parker - Laura (partial) - Bird With Strings - 1950

Charlie Parker -  Back Home Blues (partial) - Swedish Schnapps - 1951

Fats Navarro  - Dance of the Infidels (partial) -  The Very Best Of Fats Navarro -    1949

Charlie Parker & Miles Davis - Milestones (partial) - Blue Bird: Legendary Savoy Sessions - 1946

Charlie Parker & Red Rodney - Swedish Schnapps - Swedish Schnapps -  1951

Charlie Parker - Blues For Alice - Swedish Schnapps - 1951

Charlie Parker – Now’s The Time – Complete Charlie Parker Quartet Recordings for Verve - 1948

Charlie Parker - Loverman - Swedish Schnapps - 1951

Charlie Parker - Star Eyes (partial) - Swedish Schnapps - 1951

Red Rodney & Ira Sullivan - Spirit Within (partial) - Spirit Within - 1981

Red Rodney - Red Arrow - The 1957 Signal Recordings - 1957

Red Rodney -  Buzzy - One For Bird - 1988

Red Rodney - If You Could See Me Now – Then & Now - 1992