[JPL] new film, "The Girls in the Band"

Janice Mancuso janmancuso at me.com
Fri Nov 12 12:32:12 EST 2010

Greetings, JPL.

It's been a long time since I posted but news of this new film about women jazz musicians urges me to share it with you.

Please read the email below about an exciting new film and get involved if you are able.  Link to the trailer below & there's more on Facebook.

Andrea is a woman I know from the Bay Area, her sister is the award-winning filmmaker Judy Chaikin.

> Subj: The Girls in the Band
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I don't know if I've already sent this to you. If so - enjoy again!
>
> My sister, Judy Chaikin, is a documentary filmmaker in the process of completing her newest film, "The Girls in the Band." The film celebrates all those courageous women jazz musicians who, in spite of tremendous personal, social and professional obstacles, kept on swinging from the 1930s until today. Below is a clip from the trailer and a link to the film's Facebook page.
>
> In the 3-years Judy has been working on this film she also raised funds to restore some of the oldest, disintegrating footage for the Library of Congress. Now, she's in the final stretch, and about $30,000 short of completing the legal paperwork to get the rights to the final footage.  If you know of anyone who loves music, jazz and women, and who would like to be a part of this project, would you please pass this email along to them? They can make a tax-deductible donation (of any amount). Just click on the Facebook page and go to the left hand box where it says: make a donation.
>
> Here's what my sis sent me along with a clip of the trailer:
>
> THE GIRLS IN THE BAND will be released in the Spring of 2011.  Here's a link to the trailer and facebook page.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYfP2ylrq3A
>

> http://www.facebook.com/thegirlsintheband
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrea

	here's info about Judy http://www.onestepproductions.com/bio.htm

	about the film producers  http://thegirlsintheband.com/about/filmmakers/

PLEASE share this with others!

I saw a post on the Facebook page from Esperanza Spalding,  she's in the film.

Bright Moments,

Jan Mancuso,

back in Portland and looking forward to rejoining KMHD soon