[JPL] This week on MOJA Radio (Zappa, Bill Evans, CTI Records @ 40 & more!)

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 15 09:27:47 EST 2010

Check out what's up this week on our special programs from The World's Modern Jazz Radio Channel!

Russ Davis
MOJA Radio
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (15-21 November 2010)

This Monday, November 15th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This time you’ll hear the thoughts and tunes of an artist who straddled two banks of the river connecting jazz and rock in a way unlike any other, the great FRANK ZAPPA! You’ll get the mojo behind the music from two jazz greats who worked with Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke and you’ll hear Zappa’s unique vision of modern jazz from the great composer, guitarist, bandleader and innovator who carved out his own special place in music history. Listen Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 11 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on another of MOJA’s greatest, FRANK ZAPPA!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

LIVE @ MOJALand happens four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the great jazz label CTI Records, join us at The Hollywood Palladium as we present CALIFORNIA CONCERT: THE CTI ALL-STARS-JULY 18TH 1971!  In 1970,  when A&M Records producer decided to start his own label, he acquired the services of some of the greatest jazz artists of the day and besides helping them create some of their most famous recordings ever, he sent them out on the road to play as an all-star band to the joy of fans everywhere. On this great summer night in L.A. the crowd cheered the likes of George Benson, Stanley Turrentine, Freddie Hubbard, Billy Cobham, Hubert Laws and more.  So why don’t you join us for CALIFORNIA CONCERT: THE CTI ALL-STARS-JULY 18TH 1971 on this week's edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you more from another of America’s great artists working with a big band to bring small group songs to a different place. It’s saxman Bill Evans with Dave Weckl, Mark Egan & Europe’s WDR Big Band on “Vans Joint.” Then you’ll hear guitarist Kevin Eubanks, escaping the Tonight Show TV studio for the recording studio with his new one titled “Zen Food.” Then you’ll hear a red, hot New Orleans band led by former Bonerama trombonist Rick Trolsen called Neslort and the album “Mystical Scam.” The New York-based all-star band called Toph-E & The Pussycats which includes Will Lee, David Mann and Clifford Carter, has an album of cool-grooving soul-jazz called “No Ordinary Day.”And we’ll top it off with the ten-year anniversary release from the Wide Hive label titled “Guitar” featuring The Wide Hive Players and special guest guitarists including Larry Coryell and Harvey Mandel. To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Wide Hive Players & Larry Coryell...Sworn Statement…Guitar (Wide Hive)
·       Bill Evans...Rattletrap…Vans Joint (BHM Productions)
·       Kevin Eubanks...The Dancing Sea…Zen Food (Mack Avenue)
·       Kevin Eubanks...Spider Monkey Cafe…Zen Food (Mack Avenue)
·       Neslort...March Of The Native Alien…Mystical Scam (Lort Records)
·       Neslort...Bedwetting For Example…Mystical Scam (Lort Records)
·       Wide Hive Players & Harvey Mandel...Jackel Chatter…Guitar (Wide Hive)
·       Wide Hive Players & Harvey Mandel...Song For Snake…Guitar (Wide Hive)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...Ostinato…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...BlackHouse…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)

When producer Creed Taylor started his own record company in 1970, in the heyday of the Fusion Era,  he had a very specific idea of how he wanted his recordings to sound, technically and stylistically. He helped some of the greats of jazz further their careers by making accessible records that were also challenging. So join us in the celebration with this week’s edition of our special feature IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION, one we call “CTI RECORDS: THE COOL REVOLUTION.” Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history and this week, you’ll hear from some of the artists who were on the CTI roster in the 1970’s, greats like Freddie Hubbard, George Benson, Joe Farrell, Hubert Laws, Eumir Deodato, Gabor Szabo, Stanley Turrentine and more.  You’ll be helping us celebrate the 40th birthday of one of the great labels in jazz history if you join us for “CTI RECORDS: THE COOL REVOLUTION,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 20th, you’re invited to “cross the pond” with one of MOJA’s greatest saxophonists as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “BILL EVANS’ EXCELLENT EUROPEAN ADVENTURE!” Many of MOJA’s greatest American artists find that Europe is not only a fertile market for their recordings and live shows, but a place where oftentimes they are loved more than in the USA.  Bill Evans has found this to be true and some of the greatest recent releases have been hits in Europe while they have hardly been released here in America. Thanks to Bill himself sharing those works with us we’ve been able to play them for you here on MOJA Radio. So Saturday we’ll talk to Bill and play from “The Other Side Of Something,” the follow up to the Grammy-nominated “Soulgrass.” You also hear from “Soulbop Band Live” featuring Bill and the legendary Randy Brecker with an all star cast that barnstormed across Europe in 2005, plus Randy will join us for some comments on the project too. Then we’ll feature Bill’s newest, the incredible “Vans Joint,” recorded with Dave Weckl, Mark Egan and the WDR Big Band of Cologne, Germany. Interview segments followed by music from these rare recordings will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “BILL EVANS’ EXCELLENT EUROPEAN ADVENTURE,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!