[JPL] BOPNDICKS 10 PICKS NOVEMBER 2010

Dick Crockett bopndick at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 22:49:18 EST 2010

BOPNDICKS
10 PICKS   NOVEMBER  2010

CHARLES
LLOYD     MIRROR    ECM

Saxophonist Charles Lloyd,

and his current state of mind.

Always

RAY
CHARLES    RAY: RARE GENIUS   THE UNDISCOVERED
MASTERS     Concord Records

We remember,

cause we grew up

on Ray Charles

MASON
BROTHERS    TWO SIDES / ONE
STORY     Archival Records

New. Young. Inventive with a dynamite classy musicians.

The heralded Mangione Brothers got your back!.

TAYLOR
EIGSTI      DAYLIGHT AT MIDNIGHT
      Concord Jazz

Restless. relaxed and groovy,  and willing to try new
things.

JOE
MAGNARELLI + STRINGS       MY OLD FLAME
    Give & Go Records

Jackie Gleason and Charley Parker were trend setters.
Trumpeter Joe Magnarelli +strings makes it happen again. And again.

ENRICO
PIERANUNZI LATIN JAZZ QUINTET     LIVE AT BIRDLAND    Cam
Jazz

For whatever you wanna call it- say it in memory of the
Jazz Messengers, Kenny Dorham and Dizzy Gillespie-the best in East
Coast Latin hard bop.

PAQUITO
D' RIVERA     LIVE AT THE LINCOLN CENTER  TANGO JAZZ

Sunnyside Records

Reedist Paquito D'Rivera, whose muse was Dizzy
Gillespie, combines great Latin music traditionalism to jazz with his
latest, Tango Jazz incarnation with the Pablo Aslan Ensemble in a
legendary live performance at the Lincoln Center.

Superb!

Here's the word, in case, you didn't  have a chance to
drop by the auditorium.

RICHARD
COLE with Randy Brecker
  INNER MISSION   Origin
Records

The great Northwester, reedist Richard Cole swings like
a true “M- F- er,” making magic with hard core bopist Randy
Brecker.  The way of the was and the way of the now.

Just taste the adulation-infusion-retribution in “Come
Together.”
“Try
To Remember.”

DENISE
DONATELLI   WHEN LIGHTS ARE LOW   Savant
Records

She sings old and new songs with exciting flair and
emotion with an extraordinary verve and direction of the young
arranger, pianist Geoffrey Keezer.

Two for the show!

BILL
FRISELL      BEAUTIFUL DREAMERS
     Savoy Jazz

Jazz guitarist Bill Frisell displays a most eclectic
self in “Beautiful Dreamers” with violist Eyvid Kang and drummer
Rudy Royston,

Bill Frisell sounds folksy and warm on some tracks;
invigorating, natural and down home on others.  The new “Beautiful
Dreams” is distinctively Frisell.

ONES
TO WATCH:

REBECCA
MARTIN     WHEN I WAS LONG AGO     Sunnyside
Records

Rebecca Martin's tender reminds me of a late forties
noir film, where the singer in shadows is a moment of poignancy in a
new modern after world of multiplicity.   That seems post modern as
wearing a James Dean T shirt from my mind. But this now in  a
Universe of lost loes, forgotten dreams and longing kisses.

So let Rebecca Martin's special magic sing all your lost
souls away.

THE
EITHER ORCHESTRA    MOOD MUSIC FOR TIME TRAVELERS
Accurate Records

Musicians tell stories.  Is The Either Orchestra, in and
out of limited time moods, a life of  a traveling musician for
everyone? Anyone?  Anyhow, since jazz is spontaneous,  new moods
combining  new syncopation, either, or, is a matter of which in “Mood
Music  For Time Travelers.”

FREDDY
COLE     FREDDY COLE SINGS MR B
  High Note Records

Freddy Cole remembers the mellow greatness of Billy
Eckstine with a selection of songs , like “Jelly, Jelly,” “Pretty
One” and the classic Eckstine  croon, “I Apologize.”

DARRELL
KATZ   JAZZ COMPOSERS ALLIANCE ORCHESTRA

WALLFLOWER IN THE AMAZON   Accurate Records

DAN
TEPFER TRIO     FIVE PEDALS DEEP      Sunnyside Records

DICK
CROCKETT
“The
Voice”  88.7FM