[JPL] Randy Brecker's Birthday Week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 21 22:53:34 EST 2010

The great Randy Brecker, award-winning trumpeter, bandleader and composer…a man’s man, a ladies man, a snappy dresser and all-around great guy…celebrates his birthday on Monday, November 29th, so all this week we’ll celebrate that fact with various special shows that focus not only on Randy’s incredible solo work, for which he’s won 4 Grammy awards, but one of the most popular bands in MOJA history, The Brecker Brothers. Plus our regular features are coming your way as usual…an hour of funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ and an all the newest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Read all about it below!

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (22-28 November 2010)

This Monday, November 22nd, we’ll present another edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll feature an hour of one of the most popular and influential bands in modern jazz history, THE BRECKER BROTHERS! You’ll hear the music of Randy and Michael with the illustrious lineup that included, among others, David Sanborn, Steve Khan, George Duke, Will Lee, Don Grolnick, and Joe Beck. You’ll hear from their early days in the heyday of the fusion era in the 1970’s to their cool, electric groove days of the Return of The Brecker Brothers phase of the 1990’s. Plus Randy and Michael will give us a look at their tremendous career in their own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on one of MOJA’s greatest groups, THE BRECKER BROTHERS!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

It’s Randy Brecker Week here on MOJA Radio and part of the celebration happens on LIVE @ MOJALand which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate the 65th birthday of one of the all-time greats of MOJA, join us as we present RANDY BRECKER ON STAGE!  Randy has been involved in hundreds of projects and we’ll hear him in four different live settings, with his brother Michael and Europe’s WDR Big Band from the Grammy-winning album “Some Skunk Funk,” with Frank Zappa at the Palladium in New York in December of 1976, with Bill Evans and The Soul-Bop Band live in Europe, and of course with the legendary Brecker Brothers Band.  It’s RANDY BRECKER ON STAGE on this week's edition of LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you more from three albums we debuted last week including a red, hot New Orleans band led by former Bonerama trombonist Rick Trolsen called Neslort and the album “Mystical Scam,” the New York-based all-star band called Toph-E & The Pussycats which includes Will Lee, David Mann and Clifford Carter and their album of cool-grooving soul-jazz called “No Ordinary Day,” followed by more from the ten-year anniversary release from the Wide Hive label titled “Guitar” featuring The Wide Hive Players and special guest guitarist Barry Finnerty. Then we’ll hear three more new works including one that came to us from out of left field, well, France actually. It’s Julian Julien and a collection of music he calls “Eletro-Jazz” on the album titled “Strange.” Then it’s a reeds & woodwinds player named Jowee Omicil on “Roots & Grooves.” He’s Montreal born and of Haitian descent, and brings in special guests Lionel Loueke and Jeremy Pelt to create a spicy mix. Then, we’ll investigate the mostly-acoustic piano trio for the 21st century with a new release titled “reFUSED” by a group called Heavy Tin that’s part E.S.T., The Bad Plus and Bud Powell all rolled into one. To hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week!

Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Julian Julien...Tinananana…Strange (Cristal Records)
·       Julian Julien...Sophie…Strange (Cristal Records)
·       Neslort...The Noise…Mystical Scam (Lort Records)
·       Jowee Omicil...Ayibobo…Roots & Grooves (BBjuiss Records)
·       Jowee Omicil...You Know That’s Right…Roots & Grooves (BBjuiss Records)
·       Heavy Tin...Moog Town…reFUSED (Concinnity Recordings)
·       Heavy Tin...Whole Dat Tone…reFUSED (Concinnity Recordings)
·       Wide Hive Players & Barry Finnerty...The Paladin…Guitar (Wide Hive)
·       Wide Hive Players & Barry Finnerty...Sky Switch…Guitar (Wide Hive)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...Ostinato…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...Tee…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll continue a week celebration of the birthday of Randy Brecker on Monday, November 29th, with a special feature we call “THE BRECKER BROTHERS GREATEST FUSION HITS.” When Randy Brecker was putting together a band for a solo project, record executive Steve Backer told him he’d sign the band on the spot if he called it The Brecker Brothers.  An instant Fusion supergroup was formed with a roster filled with Randy & Michael and a host of New York hotshots like David Sanborn, Don Grolnick, George Duke, Steve Khan, Will Lee, Hiram Bullock, Marcus Miller, Steve Gadd and many more who brought New York style and Philly funk together in what became known as Heavy Metal BeBop.  It’s “THE BRECKER BROTHERS GREATEST FUSION HITS,” on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, November 27th, you’re invited to a birthday party for one of MOJA’s most beloved and revered artists as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY BRECKER!” There’s a lot to talk about when you look back at the astounding career of the great Randy Brecker, from his beginnings growing up in Philadelphia in a musical household with his younger brother Michael, his first breaks with Blood, Sweat & Tears and Horace Silver followed by the formation of The Brecker Brothers, who exploded on the fusion scene in New York with a host of all star players. Then we’ll talk to Randy about his many session projects with other artists and of course his varied solo works that have garnered him 4 Grammy Awards of his own.  Plus we’ll look forward with Randy to two upcoming projects for 2011 on the day that lands just two days before his 65th birthday. Interview segments followed by music from these rare recordings will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “HAPPY BIRTHDAY RANDY BRECKER,” on this week’s WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (29 November-5 December 2010)

This Monday, November 29th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on a multi-Grammy Award winner, bandleader, composer, fusion pioneer and one of the most popular trumpeters to ever pick up the instrument, the great, RANDY BRECKER on the day that marks his 65th birthday! Join Russ Davis as Randy covers every aspect of his amazing career from his early days in straight ahead jazz with Horace Silver and rock with Blood, Sweat & Tears to the formation of one of the supergroups of fusion, The Brecker Brothers.  You’ll hear about all the many facets of his solo career too. You’ll hear the stories and of course we’ll give you an hour of his incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great RANDY BRECKER!