[JPL] Randy Brecker & Jaco Pastorius in the spotlight this week on MOJA Radio

Russ Davis davispro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 29 12:38:28 EST 2010

Randy Brecker turns 65 TODAY!!!!  Jaco would have been 59 on Wednesday, December 1st and we celebrate these facts this week on MOJA Radio.

Russ Davis
MOJA & VOA
www.mojaradio.com
russ at mojaradio.com

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (29 November-5 December 2010)

This Monday, November 29th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. And this time we’ll focus on a multi-Grammy Award winner, bandleader, composer, fusion pioneer and one of the most popular trumpeters to ever pick up the instrument, the great, RANDY BRECKER on the day that marks his 65th birthday! Join Russ Davis as Randy covers every aspect of his amazing career from his early days in straight ahead jazz with Horace Silver and rock with Blood, Sweat & Tears to the formation of one of the supergroups of fusion, The Brecker Brothers.  You’ll hear about all the many facets of his solo career too. You’ll hear the stories and of course we’ll give you an hour of his incredible music. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great RANDY BRECKER!

In the Mid-1980’s when fusion had faded and the softer side of things began to permeate the radio with the emergence of contemporary jazz, a fun, up and funky trend sprang out of the clubs and concert halls of England that brought new life to jazz.  If you’d like to hear some just listen four times each week to the newest feature on MOJA Radio, THIS IS ACID JAZZ! You can hear it twice every Tuesday at 9 AM and again at 9 PM EST and twice on Sunday’s at 9 AM & 9 PM EST as part of the Sunday Specials.  The phrase Acid Jazz came from the famous English DJ Gilles Peterson and each week you’ll hear not only the music of the English groups he discovered, but artists from the USA and around the world that joined in on a movement whose repercussions still reverberate today, and the words of Mr. Peterson himself! So if you can’t get enough of that funky stuff come and get it on THIS IS ACID JAZZ four times each week on MOJA Radio!

It’s JACO PASTORIUS Week here on MOJA Radio and part of the celebration happens on LIVE @ MOJALand which you can hear four times each week here on MOJA Radio as we invite you to join us inside the world's only imaginary jazz club for rare, live performances by the biggest names in Modern Jazz.  Listen Wednesday morning at 9 AM/6 AM Pacific and again Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific.  You can hear it again twice on Sunday at 11 AM & 11 PM Eastern, as part of the Sunday Specials. This week, as we celebrate what would have been the 59th birthday on Wednesday, December 1st, of one of the all-time greats of MOJA, join us as we present JACO PASTORIUS: LIVE IN MONTREAL 1982!  Just 5 years before his untimely death at the age of 36, Jaco was in his prime and brought some of the finest players around to the stage in Montreal to play some of his classsics like “Chicken,” and “Donna Lee,” plus more. It’s Jaco with Randy Brecker on trumpet, Bob Mintzer on sax along with percussion by Peter Erskine, Don Alias & Othello Molineaux.  It’s JACO PASTORIUS: LIVE IN MONTREAL 1982 this week on LIVE @ MOJALand!

Join Russ Davis as he gives you an hour of the freshest MOJA on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE every Thursday at 9 AM East/6 AM West with a replay at 9 PM East/6 PM West, and twice again on Sundays at 10 AM & 10 PM ET.  This week we’ll give you more from three albums we debuted last week including the New York-based all-star band called Toph-E & The Pussycats which includes Will Lee, David Mann and Clifford Carter and their album of cool-grooving soul-jazz called “No Ordinary Day,”  followed by reeds & woodwinds player Jowee Omicil on “Roots & Grooves.” He’s Montreal born and of Haitian descent, and brings in special guests Lionel Loueke and Jeremy Pelt to create a spicy mix. Then it’s the mostly-acoustic piano trio for the 21st century with a new release titled “reFUSED” by a group called Heavy Tin that’s part E.S.T., The Bad Plus and Bud Powell all rolled into one.  Then get ready to rumble with the third studio release from the band Spare Parts titled “Trio” featuring a funky style that’s been called a combination of Weather Report and Jamiroquai. Then we’ll top it off with the latest from esteemed guitarist Russell Malone and two great, young players with his first ever trio recording titled “Triple Play.” So if you want to hear the newest MOJA, just listen to THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE four times each week! Here’s the new music you’ll hear this week…

ARTIST…TITLE…ALBUM (LABEL)

·       Russell Malone...INTERVIEW with Russ Davis
·       Russell Malone...Sweet Georgia Peach…Triple Play (MaxJazz)
·       Spare Parts...Japanese Rock Song…Trio (www.sparepartsmusic.com)
·       Spare Parts...Police Report…Trio (www.sparepartsmusic.com)
·       Jowee Omicil...Wole…Roots & Grooves (BBjuiss Records)
·       Jowee Omicil...Bee-Bop…Roots & Grooves (BBjuiss Records)
·       Heavy Tin...The Blue Rocker…reFUSED (Concinnity Recordings)
·       Heavy Tin...Hammer Dat!…reFUSED (Concinnity Recordings)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...Un Nuevo Mundo…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)
·       Toph-E & The Pussycats...Tee…No Ordinary Day (M’Bubba Music)

Every Friday beginning at 7 AM until midnight Eastern time we’ll begin each hour with a classic piece of Jazz Fusion history with our special feature we call IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.  This week we’ll continue our celebration of what would have been the 59th birthday of Jaco Pastorius on Wednesday, December 1st, with a special feature we call “JACO PASTORIUS’ GREATEST FUSION HITS.” When Weather Report played Miami, Jaco approached Joe Zawinul and announced that he was the world’s greatest bass player. After his years with Weather Report followed by his solo work and collaborations with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny & Joni Mitchell he did all he could to prove that to be true.  It’s “JACO PASTORIUS’ GREATEST FUSION HITS,” this week on IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION.

This Saturday, December 4th, you’re invited to a birthday party for another of MOJA’s most beloved and revered artists as we present our weekly feature WORDS & MUSIC on MOJA Radio this one titled “REMEMBERING JACO!” He’s one of those artists who needs only one name to identify and on Saturday we'll continue our week-long celebration of one of the most influential artists in modern jazz history, JACO PASTORIUS, by talking to those who knew, admired and worked with him.  Pat Metheny, Joe Zawinul, Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke, Christian McBride, Jimmy Haslip. Marcus Miller, Victor Bailey, Richard Bona and Victor Wooten join us to give us their thoughts on Jaco. Interview segments followed by music will begin each hour from Noon through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). Join us for “REMEMBERING JACO,” this week on WORDS & MUSIC.

Twice every Sunday listen for three of our most popular special features on what we call THE SUNDAY SPECIALS here on MOJA Radio. At 9 AM & 9 PM Eastern time you’ll hear an hour of fun and funky stuff on THIS IS ACID JAZZ followed at 10 AM and 10 PM Eastern time by our weekly look at the hottest new MOJA coming out on THE ALL NEW MUSIC REVUE. Then we’ll wrap it all up at 11 AM and 11 PM Eastern time with an hour inside the world’s only imaginary modern jazz club for rare, live performances on LIVE @ MOJALAND. So listen for THE SUNDAY SPECIALS twice every Sunday from 9 AM to NOON Eastern, with a replay Sunday night from 9 PM to Midnight Eastern/6-9 PM Pacific on MOJA Radio!

MOJA Radio/WEEKLY FEATURES   (6-12 December 2010)

This Monday, December 6th, we’ll present another “Happy Birthday” edition of our special feature, MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on MOJA Radio. This Monday we’ll featuring an hour of the music of possibly the most famous bassist in modern jazz, JACO PASTORIUS.  Just five days after what would have been his 59th birthday we’ll give you a full hour of some of Jaco’s finest music…solo, with Weather Report and more. Plus you’ll hear some of Jaco’s own words as well those of some of his many musical friends and admirers to shed light on his wonderful career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS twice every Monday, at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and this week we place our MOJA spotlight on and wish a very happy birthday to the great JACO PASTORIUS!