[JPL] NYT: Sonny Rollins at the Beacon

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Mon Sep 13 11:15:32 EDT 2010

  I interviewed Gary Giddins a few weeks ago about Sonny's receipt of
the MacDowell Medal, the first ever jazz artist to be so honored in the
51 year history of the medal.  Gary was dead-on when he described the
timing of the honor as "ludicrously late."  But still it was made.  And
Sonny received the Miles Davis Medal at this year's Montreal Jazz Fest.

A Kennedy Center honor awaits.  In Giddins's words, that would mean
another "assault on the citadel" of the American arts establishment,
which Gary calls "the devil itself."

Tom

On 9/13/2010 11:07 AM, dkunian wrote:

> Happy late birthday Sonny!
>
> The fact that the Kennedy Center hasn 't given Sonny or Roy or Cecil or Ornette
> one of their honors is a travesty.  And yet they give one to the Who or to
> Oprah?  Pleeze.....
>
> don't get me started
> dk
>

> ________________________________