[JPL] Hendrix Motherlode ...

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 20:24:41 EDT 2010

hi nou:

an inspired idea...having had the pleasure and privilege to see The JH Exp's 1st (fillmore east) and last (randall's island)
US performances, ill "program vicariously through you"  hope this helps you and all other radio folks considering your very
worthwhile idea--and YES much of MILES post Bitches Brew fits the groove ("Big Fun" et al)

and of course the apochyphal Miles "JACK JOHNSON" with John McLaughlin GOING OFF!

2 excellent CDS both tributes: Purple Haze & Foxy Lady Dr. Lonnie Smith featuring John Abercrombie w smitty smith

there's an excellent Hendrix fusion tribute featuring a dozen or so guitarslingers, part of an excellent tribute series
(also included mahavishnu, santana and a few others) produced by LA guitarist jeff richman    that came out a few years ago on the Tone Center  label

important disciples:
 TERJE RYPDAL (ECM)

TOMMY BOLIN (the Boulder flash, my sadly, long departed dear friend) his whammy bar and feedback
                         explorations were a continuation of jimi's work. some great instrumentals on his CDs.
   BUT especially the awesome JAM with Alphonse Mouzon (on the white Blue Note rlease-alphone on cover in colorful leathers)

VERNON REID with Living Colour  "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" also see "Stone Free" an excellent rock oriented tribute from Warner Reprise earl;y 90s (check JEFF BECK with SEAL!)

john klemmer :3rd stone"

"Up from the Skies:  Lucky Peterson, Rickie Lee Jones, Giamcomo Gates, Gilberto Gil & Kenny Rankin

DEFUNKT did a live BLUES tribute CD to jimi

Steve Ray "Little WIng" !

Marcus Miller "Power of Soul"

SANTANA "Peace on Earth"

Coryell/Bailey/WHite

"Voodoo Chile":   Lee Konitz !     Phil Upchurch     Jamie Cullum

"Bold as Love"  ex-Zappa axeman Steve Vai  and believe it or not (and smokin') JOHN MAYER trio the "pop" guitarist/singer

"Fire" Ursuzla Dudziak

DONALD HARRISON "Wind Cries Mary"

STANLEY JORDAN "ANGEL"

GERI ALLEN  did a tribute album

Cassandra Wilson covered a couple

DAVID GARFIELD (Tribute to Jeff CD) "If 6 was 9"

"Foxy Lady"    Kathy Kosins;      Booker T

all the other suggestions (did someone already mention that WORLD SAX QRT tribute disc?

have fun.....jimi lives on!  (the latest Experience Hendrix title "Valleys of Neptune" has a few gems)

ricky schultz
jazzconsultant.com