[JPL] RE: Kenny G on KKJZ w/content

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Sun Apr 3 21:56:37 EDT 2011

Lest anybody be interested, the playlist for Mr. G's first KKJZ show has
been posted.  You can find it here:

http://www.jazzandblues.org/programming/playlists/search/index.aspx?host=kenny+g

I guess it's pretty much what one would have expected: a focus on pretty
safe fare, one or two tunes from the 50's and 60's and the rest from the
70's and beyond.  Not sure that I'd classify John Legend or Lawson
Rollins as fitting a jazz format.  I dare say my listeners would go
apoplectic if I ever played Legend's "Ordinary People".  But by playing
it perhaps he was informing listeners that both of them will be
performing at the New Orleans Jazz Fest.

Ricky, as for Ferrante & Teicher, their pre-1960 recordings were great
early stereo demo records.  They're more akin to Esquivel and Martin
Denny, perhaps with a little Spike Jones and Raymond Scott thrown in for
good measure.  Lots of "prepared" piano effects paying homage to John
Cage.  They abandoned all of that once they signed with United Artists
around 1960 recording only pretty tame covers of Exodus, Midnight Cowboy
and the like.  And of course the latter was far more popular with the
general public.

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3FM