[JPL] This week on The Jazz Session: Bruce Barth & Marc Miralta!

Jason Crane | The Jazz Session jason at thejazzsession.com
Mon Apr 4 08:14:38 EDT 2011

You can see a snazzy PDF version of this newsletter at
http://thejazzsession.com/newsletter/110404_tjs_newsletter.pdf

...or read the text below:

(APRIL 4, 2011) --  Another week, more live music! This past week I saw
JC Sanford at the Tea Lounge; the ICP Orchestra at Le Poisson Rouge; and
Adam Rogers at the Village Vanguard. Here are photos I took at two of
those shows:

JC Sanford Orchestra at the Tea Lounge
http://tinyurl.com/3bv8w49

ICP Orchestra at Le Poisson Rouge
http://tinyurl.com/3re7a7u

I also wrote two new poems:

“lipstick is poison”
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/03/30/poem-lipstick-is-poison/

“it takes a certain kind of person”
http://jasoncrane.org/2011/04/02/poem-it-takes-a-certain-kind-of-person/

I conducted interviews last week with Noah Preminger, Jon Gordon and
Adam Cruz, and a two-person interview with Matthew Shipp and Darius
Jones. All of those are coming up on the show this month.

Membership campaign update! Just over two dozen of you have become
members. To make my goal of 100 members by the 300th show, I really need
more of you to step up and become members. Please join today:
http://thejazzsession.com/join

This week on the show: Bruce Barth (TJS #254, Monday) & Marc Miralta
(TJS #255, Thursday).

Next week: Fay Victor (TJS #256, Monday) & Adam Rogers (TJS #257, Thursday).

Peace, love and jazz,

Jason

*********************************
This week on The Jazz Session:
*********************************

TJS #254: Bruce Barth. Pianist Bruce Barth’s latest record is Live At
Smalls (Smalls Live, 2011) with Vicente Archer and Rudy Royston. In this
interview, Barth talks about the equal partnership and openness he looks
for in his bandmates; what he learned from his early work with Stanley
Turrentine and Terence Blanchard; and the difficulties of studying at a
jazz school in a place where there isn’t a jazz scene. SHOW AVAILABLE NOW.

TJS #255: Marc Miralta. Drummer and percussionist Marc Miralta’s most
recent recording is Dreams (Fresh Sound, 2007). Miralta was in New York
to play with Alexis Cuadrado’s nonet. In this interview, Miralta talks
about growing up playing jazz drums in his native Spain; how he entered
the flamenco world; and the many projects in which he plays. SHOW
AVAILABLE STARTING 4/7/11.

*********************************

--
Jason Crane