[JPL] Playlist: The Vinyl Side of Midnight (89.7FM WLNZ) 4/3/11

Mike Stratton dreamtrane at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:41:22 EDT 2011

Vinyl Side of Midnight 2011

4/3/11

The Greening of Jazz

Tonight's show features at least three luminaries of M.S.U.'s Jazz Program:
bassist George DeLancey (of the Sailors/DeLancey Jazz Orchestra),
exquisitely understated pianist Sarah Slonim and fireball tenor player John
Beshay. I've been watching these three rising jazz stars develop their craft
over the past few years and look forward to interviewing them and listening
to some of their music tonight.

In addition, we'll talk about the M.S.U. Jazz Spectacular (4/14 - 4/16/11),
featuring bebop legend Jimmy Heath, hot trumpet sensation Jeremy Pelt,
vocalist Vanessa Rubin and the smoking Tia Fuller Quartet.  We'll listen to
some music by these artists as well as some from the MSU Professor's of
Jazz. All this and the jazz calendar.

Tune in and Go Green.

The Heath Brothers - Changes; ENDURANCE (Jazz Legacy Productions)
Jimmy Heath Orchestra - Big “P”; REALLY BIG (Riverside)

Sarah Slonim - Scratchin’ In The Gravel (composition by Mary Lou Williams
(Unreleased)
MSU Professors of Jazz - Bedop; THE THIRD FLOOR (unreleased)

Jonathan Beshay - There Will Never Be Another You (unreleased)
Pete Zimmer Quartet - Una Mas; CHILLIN’ LIVE @ JAZZ FACTORY (Tippin’
Records)

George DeLancey - Prophet Professor (unreleased)

Billie Holiday - Ain’t Nobody’s Business If I Do (unknown complilation)
Tia Fuller - Shades of McBride; DECISIVE STEPS (Mack Avenue Records)

Branford Marsalis - In The Crease; CONTEMPORARY JAZZ
Paul Chambers - Whims of Chambers; WHIM OF CHAMBERS (Blue Note Records)

Oliver Nelson - Yearnin’; THE BLUES & THE ABSTRACT TRUTH (Impulse Records)
Kenny Werner - Sada; BALLOONS (Half Note)

Carl Allen/Rodney Whitaker - What’s Goin’ On?; WORK TO DO (Mack Avenue
Records)
Jazz Calendar

Steven Lugerner Septet - Simplicity; NARRATIVES
Taylor Haskins + Recombination - Lurking Shadows; RECOMBINATION (19/8)
Taylor Haskins + Recombination - Here Is The Big Sky; RECOMBINATION (19/8)

Vanessa Rubin - Love For Sale; LANGUAGE OF LOVE (Telarc)
Vanessa Rubin - In A Sentimental Mood; PASTICHE (Novus)

Rick Roe - April In Paris; MINOR SHUFFLE (Unknown Records)
Sunny Wilkison - Heart; A GENTLE TIME (CMG)
Betty Baxter - You Must Believe In Spring; LOVE REMEMBERS (Satin Sounds)
Monty Alexander - Body & Soul; UPLIFT (Jazz Legacy Productions)