[JPL] Continuum, A Journey Through Jazz - "Hope & Renewal" (Soulandjazz.com)

scott at soulandjazz.com scott at soulandjazz.com
Mon Apr 4 21:05:09 EDT 2011

Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 45: Hope & Renewal

Hosted & Produced by J. Scott Fugate, “The Jazz Evangelist”

It’s a rather trying time in various parts of the world right now, so I’d like to do something in some small way to help…and since what I do is present music from the Jazz Continuum which goes beyond stereotypes in an effort to unify, uplift, entertain, educate and heal – this is my offering of Hope & Renewal.

Here it is, free, legal, and CD quality:  http://bit.ly/igAaFN

To that end, we start with the timeless question, ‘What’s Goin’ On?’ soulfully asked by Donny Hathaway, followed by two songs of ‘Hope’ from Branford Marsalis & Monty Alexander. We then progress towards the tangible spirit of ‘Renewal’ – first instilled through a hard bop groove from Monty Alexander’s brand new CD, and then infused via an Afro-Cuban celebration held by Ray Barretto & New World Spirit. We then turn to reflect on matters of faith with John Coltrane’s ‘A Love Supreme’ (including the poem/prayer he wrote in the liner notes as an accompaniment) and Pharoah Sander’s ‘The Creator Has a Master Plan’. The show concludes with some Gospel Jazz from Donald Harrison with the encouragement to ‘Keep The Faith’.

So, wherever you are in the world right now, and whatever you may be dealing with as a result of natural disasters, financial issues, or fears for the future…allow this music to sooth your soul, provide some hope with an encouragement towards renewal, open your heart & serve to strengthen your faith. A tall order indeed, but with the help of some of the world’s greatest musicians, it might well have a lasting effect on your mind, heart, body & spirit.

As always if you have any comments, questions or suggestions please don’t hesitate to drop me a line at Scott at SoulandJazz.com

PLAYLIST: Continuum – A Journey Through Jazz
Episode 45: “Hope & Renewal”

Artist – Track – Album – Year

Donny Hathaway - What’s Goin’ On - Donny Hathaway: Live - 1972

Branford Marsalis Quartet - Hope - Braggtown - 2006

Monty Alexander - Hope - Goin’ Yard - 2001

Monty Alexander - Renewal – Uplift - 2011

Ray Barretto & New World Spirit - Renewal – Trance Dance - 2001

John Coltrane - Part 1: Acknowledgement - A Love Supreme - 1964

Pharoah Sanders - The Creator Has A Master Plan - Priceless Jazz 10: Pharoah Sanders - 1969

Donald Harrison - Keep The Faith - The Burners (Extended) - 2009

For submissions or suggestions, please write to Scott at soulandjazz.com
Or send product directly to:

J. Scott Fugate
"Jazzevangelist Promotions"