[JPL] RE: Kenny G on KKJZ w/content

Doug Crane dcrane at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 01:49:11 EDT 2011

Broadcast Architecture lists a whopping 19 Smooth Jazz stations
utilizing their services on its website.  25% of those are in
California.  My guess is that some of the remaining stations have to be
looking at programming options other than Smooth Jazz.  A number of them
on that very same list have already tweaked their sound by adopting BA's
Smooth AC format.  That means more vocals and fewer instrumentals.

I'd be very interested in knowing how many radio stations around the
country end up carrying the "G" show.

Does anybody remember David Sanborn's syndicated radio show from the
late 1980's called "The Jazz Show"?  I thought his music mix was
intelligent, accessible to the masses and with more than enough "real"
jazz to keep all but the "jazz police" happy.  His TV show "Night Music"
from around the same time was a lot of fun too.  If only Kenny G's show
could evolve into something more like Sanborn's old show, it might be
worth a listen.

Doug Crane
dcrane at comcast.net
KUVO Denver 89.3FM