[JPL] RE: Kenny G on KKJZ w/content

Ed Trefzger ed.trefzger at jazzweek.com
Tue Apr 5 09:44:11 EDT 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Dr. Jazz wrote:

> The JazzWeek Smooth Jazz Chart panel consists of ONLY 8 stations!
> -Dr.

At its peak, it had 45 or so stations.

I don't think we can consider terrestrial jazz radio immune to contraction at this point. When we see well-run stations like WDUQ go through what it has, the still steady move of talk and news in replacement of music on non-comm FM, and the move now in commercial radio to air more talk on FM, we can't sit on our laurels.

Non-comm radio has the opportunity to provide a lot of great programming. It just may not be coming out of a transmitter. And that's going to happen sooner than we think. There will be a tipping point very soon at which internet-connected car audio will hasten the pace to internet-distributed programming.

This is an opportunity for those willing to seize it.

-- Ed