[JPL] Playlist-Jazz with George Thomas with Leo Robbin, Charlie Rouse, Randy Weston for Wednesday, 04/06/11

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Wed Apr 6 23:22:45 EDT 2011

Jazz with George Thomas with Leo Robbin, Charlie Rouse, Randy Weston for
Wednesday, 04/06/11

It's a major birthday night as we celebrate the lyricist Leo Robbin with
his songs "Easy Living," "If I Should Lose You," My Ideal," and "Thanks
For The Memory." We also celebrate the birthdays of Charlie Rouse, tenor
sax player with Julius Watkins and Thelonious Monk and pianist, composer &
bandleader Randy Weston.

Playlist

9:00pm
Miss Brown To You
Artist Name 	Billie Holiday
Composer 	Leo Robin, R. Whiting, R. Rainger
Soloists 	Billie Holiday-Vocals ; Ben Webster-Tenor Sax ; Teddy Wilson-Piano
CD/Album 	The Billie Holiday Collection, Volume 1
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 87067
Release Year 	1935
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

9:03pm
Easy Living
Artist Name 	Clifford Brown
Composer 	R. Raiger, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Clifford Brown-Trumpet
CD/Album 	The Complete Blue Note And Pacific Jazz Recordings
Record co./Cat # 	Blue Note Records 34195 2
Release Year 	1953
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

9:07pm
Easy Living
Artist Name 	Billie Holiday
Composer 	R. Raiger, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Billie Holiday-Vocals
CD/Album 	The Billie Holiday Collection, Volume 2
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 87068
Release Year 	1937
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

9:10pm
Who's Got Rhythm?
Artist Name 	Gerry Mulligan & Ben Webster
Composer 	G. Mulligan
Soloists 	Gerry Mulligan-Baritone Sax ; Ben Webster-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	Gerry Mulligan Meets Ben Webster
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 841 661-2
Release Year 	1959
Note 	Birthday: Gerry Mulligan 4.6.1927

9:17pm
If I Should Lose You
Artist Name 	Nina Simone
Composer 	Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Nina Simone-Vocals, Piano
CD/Album 	After Hours
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 526 702-2
Release Year 	1965
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

12:00am
Tanjah
Artist Name 	Randy Weston
Composer 	Randy Weston
Soloists 	Randy Weston-Piano
CD/Album 	Tanjah
Record co./Cat # 	Verve 314 527 778-2
Release Year 	1973
Note 	Birthday: Randy Weston 4.6.1926

9:33pm
Nica's Tempo
Artist Name 	Art Blakey
Composer 	Gigi Gryce
Soloists 	Bill Hardman-Trumpet ; Jackie McLean-Alto Sax ; Art Blakey-Drums
CD/Album 	Drum Suite
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 93637
Release Year 	1956
Note 	Birthday: Bill Hardman 4.6.1933

9:40pm
My Ideal
Artist Name 	Chet Baker
Composer 	Chase, Whitting, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Chet Baker-Trumpet & Vocals
CD/Album 	The Best Of Chet Baker Sings
Record co./Cat # 	Pacific Jazz 92932
Release Year 	1956
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

9:47pm
If I Should Lose You
Artist Name 	Roy Haynes Quartet
Composer 	R. Raiger, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Roy Haynes-Drums ; Roland Kirk-Tenor Sax, Manzello, Stritch ;
Tommy Flanagan-Piano ; Henry Grimes-Bass
CD/Album 	Out Of The Afternoon
Record co./Cat # 	Impulse! 180
Release Year 	1962
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

9:53pm
Honeysuckle Rose
Artist Name 	Andre Previn
Composer 	Fats Waller
Soloists 	Andre Previn-Piano ; Joe Pass-Guitar ; Ray Brown-Bass
CD/Album 	After Hours
Record co./Cat # 	Telarc Jazz 83302
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Birthday: Andre Previn 4.6.1929

10:00pm
Billy's Blues
Artist Name 	Charlie Rouse
Composer 	Charlie Rouse
Soloists 	Charlie Rouse-Tenor Sax ; Billy Gardner-Piano
CD/Album 	Unsung Hero
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia 46181
Release Year 	1960
Note 	Birthday: Charlie Rouse 4.6.1924

10:09pm
Bright Mississippi
Artist Name 	Thelonious Monk
Composer 	Thelonious Monk
Soloists 	Charlie Rouse-Tenor Sax ; Thelonious Monk-Piano ; Larry
Gales-Bass ; Ben Riley-Drums
CD/Album 	Live At The It Club - Complete
Record co./Cat # 	Columbia/Legacy 65288-2
Release Year 	1964
Note 	Birthday: Charlie Rouse 4.6.1924

10:19pm
Blue Modes
Artist Name 	Les Jazz Modes
Composer 	Julius Watkins
Soloists 	Julius Watkins-French Horn ; Charlei Rouse-Tenor Sax
CD/Album 	The Rare Dawn Sessions
Record co./Cat # 	Biograph 134/135
Release Year 	1956
Note 	Birthday: Charlie Rouse 4.6.1924

10:25pm
Afro-Blue
Artist Name 	Conrad Herwig
Composer 	Mongo Santamaria
Soloists 	Conrad Herwig-Trombone ; Danilo Perez-Piano
CD/Album 	The Latin Side Of John Coltrane
Record co./Cat # 	Astor Place 4003
Release Year 	1996

10:34pm
Loose Wig
Artist Name 	Randy Weston and his African Rhythms Sextet
Composer 	Randy Weston
Soloists 	Randy Weston-Piano ; TK Blue-Alto Sax ; Benny Powell-Trombone
CD/Album 	The Storyteller
Record co./Cat # 	Motema Music 51
Release Year 	2010
Note 	Birthday: Randy Weston 4.6.1926

10:43pm
Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams
Artist Name 	Roy Eldridge, Charles Mingus, Tommy Flanagan, Jo Jones
Composer 	Harry Barris, Ted Koehler, Billy Moll
Soloists 	Roy Eldridge-Trumpet ; Tommy Flanagan-Piano ; Charles
Mingus-Bass ; Jo Jones-Drums
CD/Album 	Newport Rebels
Record co./Cat # 	Candid 79022
Release Year 	1960

10:47pm
There'll Never Be Another You
Artist Name 	Andre Previn
Composer 	Harry Warren
Soloists 	Andre Previn-Piano ; Joe Pass-Guitar ; Ray Brown-Bass
CD/Album 	After Hours
Record co./Cat # 	Telarc Jazz 83302
Release Year 	1989
Note 	Birthday: Andre Previn 4.6.1929

10:53pm
Thanks For The Memory
Artist Name 	Stan Getz Quintet with Jimmy Raney
Composer 	R. Raiger, Leo Robin
Soloists 	Stan Getz-Tenor Sax ; Jimmy Raney-Guitar
CD/Album 	The Complete Recordings Of The Stan Getz Quintet With Jimmy Raney
Record co./Cat # 	Mosaic 3-131
Release Year 	1952
Note 	Birthday: Leo Robin 4.6.1900

10:56pm
Dream A Little Dream Of Me
Artist Name 	Bucky Pizzarelli & Frank Vignola
Composer 	Fabian Andre, Gus Kahn, Wilbur Schwartz
Soloists 	Bucky Pizzarelli- 7 String Guitar ; Frank Vignola-Guitar
CD/Album 	Moonglow
Record co./Cat # 	Hyena 9339
Release Year 	2005

--