[JPL] Boston Jazz Week Line-Up and Special announcement

eric jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Thu Apr 7 13:50:29 EDT 2011

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that the listings for Boston Jazz Week have
just been released and I'm honored that there will be 2 tributes to the
30th anniversary of my radio show. Although we don't usually list this
kind of thing hereon JPL, I thought some of you might find this
interesting so I've pasted the announcement below.

Eric Jackson
WGBH Boston
Mon -Thurs 8 PM - Mid
Sunday 10 PM - Mid.
www.wgbh.org/listen/jazz.cfm

Jazz Week ’11 Marks Fifth Anniversary with Salutes to
Eric Jackson, Hundreds of Events in Greater Boston

Walter Beasley, Grace Kelly, Terri Lyne Carrington, Cecil McBee, Rebecca
Parris Join All-Star Jazz Jam to Celebrate Longtime WGBH Host

Boston, Cambridge, Somerville Officially Proclaim April 29 – May 8 “Jazz
Week”

JW2011_purple-300dpi(yellowwhite)[low].jpgWith the theme “This Is Jazz,”
from April 29 to May 8 Greater Boston's Jazz Week ’11 celebrates a music
that defies definition and recognizes no boundaries. For the fifth
straight year, Jazz Week is being coordinated and promoted by the
nonprofit JazzBoston, which also marks its fifth anniversary in 2011.

More than 200 events at nearly 80 venues will take place during the 10
days of Jazz Week. For details, check the full Jazz Week Schedule of
Events on the JazzBoston website. Events are added daily.

This year’s highlight is “Eric in Two Evenings,” a two-part stage and
screen salute to Eric Jackson, who celebrates the 30th anniversary of
his WGBH-FM jazz program in May.

“For Eric, Evening I” is an all-star jazz jam on Monday, May 2,
presented by JazzBoston and Scullers Jazz Club and produced by Fred
Taylor, that will include, among many others, Walter Beasley, Grace
Kelly, Terri Lyne Carrington, Cecil McBee, Rebecca Parris, Phil Wilson,
Bill Pierce, George Garzone, Bob Moses, Dominique Eade, Donal Fox, and
Laszlo Gardony.

“For Eric, Evening II” is a night of rarely seen videos of jazz greats
selected by Jackson and screened at the Regent Theatre, Arlington
Center, on Friday, May 6. The videos come from the collection of jazz
historian Hal Miller, owner of the world's largest collection of rare
jazz film and video. Among Jackson’s picks will be clips of John
Coltrane, Miles Davis, Sarah Vaughan, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington,
Wes Montgomery, Pharoah Sanders and Sonny Rollins. A reception with
Jackson and Miller will precede the screening.

Officially proclaimed by the Mayors of Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville
and coordinated and promoted by JazzBoston, Jazz Week '11: This Is Jazz
shines the spotlight on Greater Boston's vibrant jazz scene with events
in venues ranging from clubs, galleries and churches to libraries,
universities and hotels.

Jazz Week ’11 Highlights

• “Free Friday” (Apr. 29), a Jazz Week kickoff featuring daytime
concerts by NEC student ensembles in public spaces around the city.

• “Big Bands Afire — Swing to Beyond” on Kickoff Weekend, featuring the
JCA Orchestra at the Cambridge Family YMCA Theatre (Apr. 29);  Hal
McIntyre Orchestra at Amazing Things Arts Center (Apr. 29);  “An
Ellington Celebration: From Standards to Sacred” with the Aardvark Jazz
Orchestra and special guest Dominique Eade at Emmanuel Church (Apr. 30);
and the Fourth Annual Herb Pomeroy Memorial Concert with special guest
Frank Tiberi at MIT’s Kresge Auditorium (Apr. 30).

• “Jazz Swarms” (May 2-6), a series of one-hour noontime public
performances in the first floor atrium food court of the State
Transportation Building, featuring ensembles of a different instrument
on each of the five weekdays – trumpets, flutes, saxophones, percussion,
and trombones.

• “Jazz Week @ the Boston Public Library,” returning for the 5th year to
the Main Library in Copley Square with afternoon and evening
conversations and performances for audiences of all ages, presented by
JazzBoston:

_  "In My Mind” (May 3) An acclaimed documentary about rising jazz
pianist Jason Moran’s 50th anniversary tribute to Thelonious Monk’s
historic 1959 Town Hall Concert in New York City. The 97-minute film had
its Boston premiere at the 2010 Roxbury International Film Festival and
is introduced by the festival’s director, Lisa Simmons.

→   “On the Edge: Exploring the Creative Music Scene” (May 4) Top-flight
musicians Dave Bryant, Tom Hall, John Kordalewski, and Neil Leonard
carry on a lively conversation about current trends, with performances
by the presenters.

→  “North Shore Jazz, Then and Now” (May 5) Henry Ferrini and Jenny
Chava Hudson, coordinators of the North Shore Jazz Project, present a
riveting oral and video history of people and places on the North Shore,
from Sandy’s Jazz Revival to the scene of today.

→  “Nat Pierce, Jaki Byard, and the Battle of the Bands” (May 6) Boston
jazz historian and author Richard Vacca presents a fascinating portrait,
with rare recordings and images, of two modernist big bands that shaped
Boston jazz, culminating in the formation of the Herb Pomeroy Orchestra.

• The return of the John Payne Saxophone Choir (May 3), featuring a
just-for-Jazz Week reunion of nearly three dozen saxophonists backed by
reedman Payne’s powerful quartet, at Ryles Jazz Club.

• Jazz Week East, East Boston’s own celebration now in its second year,
including performances by Marlene Jazz Ensemble in a "Jazz for Japan"
benefit (April 29), Nick Grondin Group and the ZUMIX Jazz All-Stars (May
5), Lee Colon Trio (May 6), and Bria Skonberg (May 7).

Hundreds of artists, scores of styles

Jazz Week ’11 will feature appearances by a wide range of performers.
Among them: David Maxwell, Matthew Shipp, Louise Woodard, Walter
Beasley, Grace Kelly, George Garzone, Cecil McBee, Dominique Eade, Phil
Wilson, Bill Pierce, Leonard Brown, Wannetta Jackson, Emmett Price,
Frank Wilkins, Amanda Carr, Rakalam Bob Moses, Kevin Harris, Donal Fox,
the JCA Orchestra, Aardvark Jazz Orchestra, Bert Seager, Yoko Miwa, The
Fringe, Your Neighborhood Saxophone Quartet, Dave Bryant, Billy Novick,
John Payne Saxophone Choir, Stan Strickland, Joe Morris, Deborah
Henson-Conant, Peter Eldridge, Bo Winiker Band, Laszlo Gardony, Myanna,
Rollins Ross, Shawnn Monteiro, Ken Field, Quartet of Happiness, Ottmar
Liebert, Curt Newton, Bruno Raberg, Charlie Kohlhase, the Hal McIntyre
Orchestra, Pablo Ablanedo, Phyllis Fallon, Al Vega, and Frank Carlberg.

Collaborating with MassJazz, Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism

In his March 1 Proclamation of Jazz Month in the Commonwealth of
Massachusetts, Governor Deval Patrick explicitly recognized JazzBoston’s
support of the state’s efforts to make Massachusetts a destination for
cultural tourists. He also conferred a Governor’s Citation on JazzBoston
in recognition of the 5th anniversary of the organization’s service to
the Greater Boston jazz community and appreciation of its stewardship of
Jazz Week.

According to Pauline Bilsky, JazzBoston’s executive director, “As we
mark both our fifth birthday as an organization and our fifth year
leading Jazz Week, we’re proud that we can contribute to the state-wide
effort to promote jazz in Massachusetts.” She added, “ We would love to
see other communities across the state come together to celebrate the
music. Nothing brings people closer than jazz.”

"The Massachusetts jazz scene is rich with history and diversity. For
aficionados and casual listeners alike, JazzBoston kicks off the summer
music season with a great start,” said Betsy Wall, executive director of
the Massachusetts Office for Travel and Tourism. “We are proud of the
richness of the music rooted here and encourage people to take part in
some great events."

"Both Jazz Week in Boston, and Jazz Month in the Commonwealth, as
proclaimed by Governor Patrick, are terrific ways to showcase one of
America's greatest art forms," said Michael P. Quinlin, founder and
president of MassJazz, which promotes year-round jazz activities in
Massachusetts to the travel and tourism industry. "During Jazz Week '11,
JazzBoston reminds us of just how vibrant and rich our jazz heritage is
in Greater Boston and, indeed, across the Commonwealth."

Jazz Week ‘11 Sponsors and Partners

Jazz Week ’11 is supported by Primary Sponsor Scullers Jazz Club; Lead
Sponsors BOND at the Langham, Boston, Berklee College of Music, and
Darryl’s Corner Bar & Kitchen; Major Sponsor, Celestial Effects; print
media sponsor The Phoenix Media/Communications Group; radio sponsor WGBH
89.7 FM; and  Venue Partner the Boston Public Library.

American Airlines is the Official Airline of JazzBoston and Jazz Week
'11. Click here for information on the 8% discount available to air
travelers around the world planning a visit to Massachusetts for Jazz
Week or Jazz Month.

About JazzBoston

JazzBoston is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to building
and serving audiences for jazz music, fostering and expanding
opportunities for jazz musicians, and raising Boston’s profile as a
great jazz city — a city that is a magnet for fans and musicians from
all over the United States and the world. For more information about
Jazz Week ’11, visit the JazzBoston website and JazzBoston on Facebook.