[JPL] NARAS Slashes Grammy Categories From 109 to 78 / Jazz Loses 2 Award...

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Thu Apr 7 21:10:13 EDT 2011

It's not just about jazz. Got this email from pianist Mike Melvoin:

We who play music on instruments have been the backbone of the Recording Academy's
membership for years.
This "restructuring" is an insult, destructive, disrespectful, and unacceptable.
Scream now and scream loud!
I can remember a time when that couldn't have happened.
The Academy was the honest broker between the artistic community and the industry.
The Academy was the instituion whose mission reinforced ours. Now it is clearly a shill for the industry.
Scream now and scream loud.
MM
Subject: You better become a lyricist I guess!

IN CASE YOU WERE PRACTICING FOR YOUR UPCOMING INSTRUMENTAL RECORDING,
HERE’S JUST A FEW OF THE CATEGORIES DROPPED OR MERGED BY THE ACADEMY YESTERDAY… just sayin’

Best Pop Instrumental Performance
Best Rock Instrumental Performance
Best Contemporary Jazz Album
Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual Or Group
Best Latin Jazz Album
Best Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance w/Orchestra
Best Instrumental Soloist(s) Performance w/o Orchestra
Best Country Instrumental Performance