[JPL] Jazz, Blues and Pop Tunes Lead National Recording Registry

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Fri Apr 8 08:50:36 EDT 2011

Larry,

Thanks for the heads-up about #25.  These are strange times.  The
Governor of Maine has ordered the re-naming of a room dedicated to
Frances Perkins, the Secretary of Labor under FDR, and the first female
Cabinet member ever.  Perkins played a significant role in steering the
nation out of the Great Depression, but now she's being defamed in the
state of her birth.

For this and innumerable other reasons, I am not surprised that GOPAC's
instructional tapes are being immortalized by the Library of Congress.
This seems in keeping with the move to have at least one building named
for Ronald Reagan in every county in the U.S.  Ironically, with the
demise of the Soviet Union, the right has seized more than ever on the
value of propaganda and the institutionalization of conservative
ideology and iconography.

By the way, nice to see "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground"
included, though it  should have been at the top of the very first
registry.  Was Professor Longhair's "Go to the Mardi Gras" on a previous
list?

Tom

On 4/6/2011 10:27 PM, Larry Appelbaum wrote:
> This week's sponsor: Lisa Hilton UNDERGROUND
>
> UNDERGROUND Lisa Hilton/piano, Nasheet Waits/drums, Larry Grenadier/bass, J.D. Allen/tenor sax
>
> UNDERGROUND arrives at jazz radio this week and showcases Hilton's new approach on it's eight original tracks, and cover of the Bill Evans classic, B Minor Waltz: "I've taken a different approach that has allowed me to broaden my palette and explore new contexts as a composer."
>
> "But how does she sound?  When she wants to, she can coax a sound from the upper - middle register that's reminiscent of the way Bill Evans used to sound: like he was splitting delicate icicles into pieces, gently, with a flick of the middle finger. Hilton's newest CD is stacked with some of the world's greatest musicians"... (Capital Bop).  http://www.LisaHIltonMusic.com
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHMPe9gew
>
> --------
>

> I'm surprised that no one has commented on the final (25th) entry to this year's list. I assumed it might be controversial, but I'm not sure people even read past the press release.
>
> http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2011/11-073.html
>
> Larry
>

>> Jazz, Blues and Pop Tunes Lead National Recording Registry
>> 04.06.2011
>>
>> The latest additions to the National Recording Registry of the Library
>> of Congress have been announced. A total of 25 were named, including a
>> series of interviews that Willis Conover did with jazz musicians for the
>> Voice of America.
>>
>> Of most interest might be what are called the first known audio
>> recordings. Made by Edouard-Leon Scott de Martinville and called
>> “phonautograms,” they were made in 1853 or 1854 by using a boar bristle
>> as a scribe, marking onto blacked glass plates. They were not meant to
>> be listened to; Scott was using them for acoustic research, but modern
>> technology has allowed the guitar and voice recordings to be heard.
>>
>> Musical offerings include a large number of jazz, blues and pop
>> recordings from the likes of Blind Willie Johnson, Professor Longhair,
>> Henry Mancini (“Peter Gunn”), Captain Beefheart, Al Green (“Let’s Stay
>> Together”), Steely Dan (“Aja”) and De La Soul. The Boswell Sisters with
>> the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra, Tammy Wynette (“Stand by Your Man”) and
>> the Sons of the Pioneers (“Tumbling Tumbleweeds”) also made the cut.
>>
>> Nonmusical recordings include “Songs of the Humpback Whale,” a sermon
>> from Rev. C.L. Franklin (Aretha’s father), a Mort Sahl performance and a
>> series of spoken recordings by “Ishi,” the last Yahi Indian speaking in
>> his own language.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. Jazz
>> Dr. Jazz Operations