[JPL] FW: Fwd: IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE GRAMMYS & LATIN JAZZ FROM BOBBY MATOS & OTHERS

Claudia Russell crussell at sdccd.edu
Mon Apr 11 17:34:36 EDT 2011

Our host of Latin Grooves received this message from Bobby Matos.  Thought I
would pass it along to the group.

Much peace to all as we continue to fight the wind and rain and KEEP THE
LIGHT ON!

Claudia
KSDS

BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE:

> Subject: IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE GRAMMYS & LATIN JAZZ
>

> Dear familia, friends, fans, and fanaticos,
>
> Please read these very important messages, and take action by
> responding to the email addresses provided and forwarding this
> email to others. This affects all of us that love Latin Jazz and
> REAL music of all kinds.
>

> NARAS which is the governing organization for the Grammy's has
> announced
> today that they have eliminated the Latin Jazz category.   Over the
> years, I have had thoughts that NARAS wouldn't recognize a musical
> note
> if it hit them in their face.  I have, up until now, given NARAS the
> benefit of the doubt, but, now they have proved to me and the rest of
> the global musical world that they don't know what music is or
> where it
> comes from.  Latin Jazz is a genre deeply rooted in the history of
> Jazz
> and our country.  By eliminating it is like telling Tito Puente and
> Dizzy Gillespie that their musical contributions were worth zilch or
> less.  Excuse me NARAS, but it is due to your lack of knowledge of
> music
> that has caused the music business to be in the shape it is today.
> Please stop telling us that NARAS is giving back by conducting music
> education programs for the youth of America.  What could NARAS
> possibly
> be teaching?  For sure it isn't Latin Jazz.  This is simply
> insulting to
> our intelligence and worse it is a prevarication.  By eliminated Latin
> Jazz from the Grammy's proves that you, NARAS are the cause of the
> demise.   Sincerely, Randy Klein, President Jazzheads -- A NEW YORK
> CITY
> BASED MUSIC LABEL
>
> We must respond to NARAS with some kind of petition and group
> statement. We certainly need everyone's support in this matter.
> Latin Jazz is over 70 years old, if you start counting from when
> Mario Bauza created the Machito & his Afro Cubans Orchestra. Older
> still, if you start counting from when Juan Tizol created CARAVAN.
> Please let's get organized and send our efforts to Neil Portnow at
> NARAS.
>
> We should send our efforts out on facebook, twitter, and we should
> send press releases as well. All of us , artists,radio hosts and
> programmers, journalists, labels, arrangers, composers, fans, todo
> el mundo. This is the most important issue we have ever addressed
> (way more urgent than the usual bochinche) and so far there have
> been few responses and no calls for action. What ever we think
> about NARAS, this decision just marginalizes, denigrates, and
> denies our music. How do you think this decision will affect the
> shrinking radio play we are already seeing?
>
>  Lets get started. This is a direct attack on our music, and in
> many cases, our livelihood. This NOT a time to be passive. Can we
> [...]

If we cannot count on NARAS to to uphold and be leaders in terms of
the artistic integrity of our music, well what does that say about
them and their commitment to our music.
Oscar Hernández

Best Regards,
Oscar Hernández